Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Custom Headliner for '36 Ford Pickup
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 09:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes View Post
Now that the headliner board is installed and secured to the truck, the next step is spraying the back of the vinyl and the attaching area with contact adhesive. I did this in two coats, the first coat I let dry overnight, and the second coat I re-applied to both areas the next morning. The glue had dried overnight to the point that it was no longer usable. Fortunately, re-applying the contact adhesive will re-activate it. I did this because the glue was soaking into the backing on the vinyl, and I wanted the first coat to act as a sealer.

Normally, I would have put windlace around the door openings, made gripper strips in the shape of the door openings, and then stuffed the excess headliner fabric up under the gripper strips. I could not do this because I didn't have enough fabric either to make windlace, or have enough extra around the perimeter to tuck under. Also, there was no place to attach the windlace down the "A" pillar to the bottom of the door opening. Instead, I made panels from foamboard, 1/8" sewfoam, and vinyl over the top. I screwed these panels in because the rest of the interior had been done that way. Here is the finished headliner.
Nice work Dan. I was wondering, when you use windlace and make gripper strips to fit the openings what material do you use for the gripper strips? Thanks