Custom Headliner for '36 Ford Pickup - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Custom Headliner for '36 Ford Pickup

I just finished a custom headliner for a '36 Ford Pickup. I was limited as to what I could do because the owner had very little fabric for me to work with, (Luckily, there was just enough vinyl to reach from side to side of the cab) and the top had been chopped. Also, part of the interior had already been done, so I had to make everything match somewhat.

Here's the truck, and what the roof looked like inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1285.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	62972   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1284.JPG
Views:	565
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	62973   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1263_1.JPG
Views:	809
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	62974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1264_1.JPG
Views:	663
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	62975  

Advertisement

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Ordinarily, I would mount a 1/4" base of luan plywood just under the roof of the truck and mount the headliner board to that, but with the top chopped, I couldn't really do that because there would be no headroom left. I decided to just use 1/8" PVC foam board, do the design on it, and mount the board in the truck by itself. I hung a piece of chipboard to the roof of the cab with magnets, so I could measure the size of the headliner board from that. It turned out that 48" wide was going to work, and about 36" from front to back. I also planned to bend the foamboard with heat, and use the rear bottom of the vertical part to mount the back of the headliner board to the frame of the truck just above the rear window.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1259_1.JPG
Views:	553
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	62976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1260_1.JPG
Views:	542
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	62977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1262_1.JPG
Views:	551
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	62978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1261_1.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	62979  

Old 02-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

The only good news in this whole project was that the valance at the top front of the cab had a little gap that I could slip the foamboard into that would hold the front of the headliner board up. I slid the foamboard in, and bent the back end down to the mounting rail in the back. I needed to make a more vertical section to get the back of the board as high up to the roof as I could, so I bent the foamboard using an industrial heat gun. I screwed a heavy cardboard tube over the foamboard to hold it down and have a round edge to bend the foamboard to. To be able to bend the whole 48" width at one time, I screwed a scrap end of OSB to the foamboard to give me some leverage. Then I propped the foamboard up to vertical and heated the foamboard until it held the vertical shape I wanted.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1265_1.JPG
Views:	580
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	62980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1274_1.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	62981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1275_1.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	62982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1276_1.JPG
Views:	532
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	62983  

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 10-17-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

After trimming the foamboard to better fit inside the cab, and bending the foamboard, I laid out the pattern on the foamboard and marked it in. As you can see from the scribbled out lines, it took a few tries to get the pattern exactly how I wanted it. When I measured the pattern I realized I wouldn't be able to sew the lines directly to the foamboard. I have a long arm sewing machine, but the center line was 22 1/2 inches in from the edge of the board. There is only 20" of space between the needle and the base on the machine, so that wasn't going to work. I ended up gluing my sew foam to a piece of chipboard (very thin cardboard, like the back of a tablet of paper) because the chipboard could be rolled up under the arm of the sewing machine. The chipboard was cut in the exact shape of my pattern, which was then glued to the sew foam, and that assembly was glued to the fabric. I then sewed the stitch lines in from front to back and around the perimeter. I then glued the whole chipboard, sew foam, fabric assembly to the foamboard headliner board. Any overhead applications require bulk, spray grade, HHR (high heat resistant) top and trim adhesive. I use DAP Weldwood Top and Trim Adhesive, but there are other contact adhesives that will work as well, like 3-M. There are no aerosols that are recommended for overhead applications.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of this process, but here is the finished headliner board. You can see that all four corners are round. The two rear corners are slightly bigger than the two front corners on this one, but you can use the same size for all four corners. The stitch line around the perimeter was done first, and then the parallel lines were sewn in from front to back last.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1277_1.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	62984  

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 02-16-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I attached a new product to the back of the foamboard called trunkliner. This is a soft fabric that is only 10" wide, but it has a self adhesive back, so all I had to do is peel and stick. I did this in case the board would flex and bump the roof, it would not make any noise.

Normally, the idea is to lay the pattern out so that it is about 5" or 6" in from the edge all the way around. Unfortunately, that would not work in this truck, because that would have decreased the headroom even more. I ended up only going in 1 1/2" all the way around. The problem with that is the more vertical it is, the harder it is to get the wrinkles out of the outside edge where the headliner fabric is attached to the truck. The only way to see if there would be more tailoring needed would be to mount the board in the truck and see if I needed to sew in any more seams to take up excess fabric. Luckily, that was not the case, I was able to attach the fabric to the truck without having to sew in extra seams.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1278_1.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	62986   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280_1.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	62987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1279_1.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	62988   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1281_1.JPG
Views:	538
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	62989  

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 02-15-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Now that the headliner board is installed and secured to the truck, the next step is spraying the back of the vinyl and the attaching area with contact adhesive. I did this in two coats, the first coat I let dry overnight, and the second coat I re-applied to both areas the next morning. The glue had dried overnight to the point that it was no longer usable. Fortunately, re-applying the contact adhesive will re-activate it. I did this because the glue was soaking into the backing on the vinyl, and I wanted the first coat to act as a sealer.

Normally, I would have put windlace around the door openings, made gripper strips in the shape of the door openings, and then stuffed the excess headliner fabric up under the gripper strips. I could not do this because I didn't have enough fabric either to make windlace, or have enough extra around the perimeter to tuck under. Also, there was no place to attach the windlace down the "A" pillar to the bottom of the door opening. Instead, I made panels from foamboard, 1/8" sewfoam, and vinyl over the top. I screwed these panels in because the rest of the interior had been done that way. Here is the finished headliner.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1282_1.JPG
Views:	624
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	62990  

Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

nice work dan
thanks for all the photos
Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes View Post
Now that the headliner board is installed and secured to the truck, the next step is spraying the back of the vinyl and the attaching area with contact adhesive. I did this in two coats, the first coat I let dry overnight, and the second coat I re-applied to both areas the next morning. The glue had dried overnight to the point that it was no longer usable. Fortunately, re-applying the contact adhesive will re-activate it. I did this because the glue was soaking into the backing on the vinyl, and I wanted the first coat to act as a sealer.

Normally, I would have put windlace around the door openings, made gripper strips in the shape of the door openings, and then stuffed the excess headliner fabric up under the gripper strips. I could not do this because I didn't have enough fabric either to make windlace, or have enough extra around the perimeter to tuck under. Also, there was no place to attach the windlace down the "A" pillar to the bottom of the door opening. Instead, I made panels from foamboard, 1/8" sewfoam, and vinyl over the top. I screwed these panels in because the rest of the interior had been done that way. Here is the finished headliner.
Nice work Dan. I was wondering, when you use windlace and make gripper strips to fit the openings what material do you use for the gripper strips? Thanks
Old 02-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

PVC foamboard. I generally use two layers and attach some Pli-Grip which has teeth to hold the headliner cloth.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the reply Dan. This brings up another question Do you attach the pli-grip to the pvc board first or to the car itself and cover it with the board? What is your preferred method (fastener) to attach the pli-grip?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

You would attach the Pli-Grip to the foamboard. It is metal, so you'd need to staple it. I will mock up a sample to show you.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

O.K., this is Pli-Grip. It is made out of a thin sheet metal and is made to curve around any shape, usually on the outside back of a piece of upholstered furniture, where it is butted up to a welt and stapled to the wood frame. You push the fabric in under the teeth, and then flatten it down making the teeth grab and hold the fabric. It comes in long rolls and is "L" shaped. Every upholstery shop should have some around.

For this job you have to bend it so it is flat. You simply cut the shape of the door opening and staple the Pli-Grip teeth side down to the PVC foamboard. It should be thicker than what is used for a panel to hold its shape better and have enough thickness to staple to, usually 1/4" thick. You can also cut the shape out of plywood, or if you have metal working skills, cut it out of light steel and punch diamond shapes all around the edge of the shape you cut, in which case you don't need the Pli-Grip. This is then screwed to the area above the door opening. When you install your headliner, the excess fabric is trimmed off and pushed up under the shaped piece and under the teeth of the Pli-Grip. The teeth will hold the headliner in place. When you have the headliner fabric in place the way you want it, take a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer and tap the strip down to engage the teeth even more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1508.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	71402   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1509.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	71403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1512.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	71404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1513.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	71405  

Old 02-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Last photo:

Nice tutorial, and good example of how to work with what you have and adapt to achieve a nice result.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:13 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Dan,

I've had a roll of pli-grip laying around but was never satisfied with the rough edge it left. Bonding it to PVC or plywood is an idea I never considered. I've been using 1/4" plywood for my strips and just stuffing the headliner really tight up inside. This will help hold better and not require all the muscle work to keep it in there.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

They do make Pli-Grip in two different weights and a urethane foam padding with self adhesive made to stick on it also.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 02-16-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.