Custom Hydroboost on '69 Torino - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Bleed Blue

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Custom Hydroboost on '69 Torino

Ok, im in the process of upgrading my brakes and suspension. Its a '69 torino manual 4 wheel drums, NON power.

I have a granada setup for it and will be using that. I want to use a hydroboost off of a later model ford. I have two questions.

1. I know I will have to get a prop valve and a disc / drum MC. BUT my question is, is the plumbing going to work with a stock 69 power steering? How do I plumb it? I assume the compression hose goes from the pump to the MC, to the power assist, then the return goes back to the pump?

2. Im going to have to fab the pedal setup a bit to work with the hydroboost. I know my pedal rod is set to a "manual" angle for more leverage, will the angle need to be changed for the hydroboost (or vaccume) to be less leverage?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2007, 01:31 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

This illustration will get you started;

This is off an early CONT, but all systems of the era are the same. Pressure lines are identified as 3A719 and return as 3A713/3A005. This install uses a CII P/S pump. Is yours an EATON or THOMPSON?

Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (MERC-EDSEL-LINC-TBIRD) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968

Also Early FORD Special Service Tools

-Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln- Engine Forum

Last edited by Helena; 05-02-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:

All automotive and truck hydroboost units are pretty much plumbed the same way. The high pressure output from the pump MUST go to the hydroboost first. The HB has two outlet lines, a high pressure output that goes to the steering box input and a low pressure output that goes to the pump reservoir. The steering box low pressure output must also go to the reservoir. On my GM trucks, the pump has three fittings, the high pressure outlet and two low pressure inlets. If you don't want to change the pump, you can tee the two low pressure hoses (one from the pump and one from the box) and run this line into the reservoir, but I think two separate returns to the pump are preferred.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Bleed Blue

Last photo:

Many many thanks, this shoud help out a ton!
Old 08-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Bleed Blue

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
Is yours an EATON or THOMPSON?

Honestly im not sure, it looks like this one
Old 08-03-2007, 04:52 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:

That is a THOMPSON (FORD) pump.

Can I ask exactly what look you are trying for with your TORINO, OEM appearance or modified? If you are looking for an updated look, the system from an SN-95 MUSTANG will give you an aluminum M/C and the use of a CII PS pump. If period, you will need to find a dual return inlet bowl for the your pump.

Have you thought about a single drive belt off a 5.0L?

Just trying to figure out which way to point you.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:22 AM
Bleed Blue

Last photo:

Sure.

Basically im limited on cash...as usual. BUT, im going for a better than stock driven hard, muscle car. Not road racing though. I dont care about OEM look, hope that dosnt piss anyone off but, its really all about going with something that I can feel safe in commuting to work and back and have fun doing it.

Right now it has 4 wheel drums, no power. Stop's pretty darn good now. Like most I would like to upgrade to better than stock components. I wanted the hydroboost mainly because I want to learn it, its updated, and because it doesnt clutter the engine bay with its big-O canister like a vacume one would. Im 100% down with modern tech and components. Also, im concerned about a hard pedal feel with manual front disc's and if I we're to stop in an emergency what would happen.

I will be moving to a granada set up with this set up. Replacing all lines, residual, and master cylinder, and going with 11" quality rotors pads etc.. Im mostly concerned with getting the porper rod and connection from the pedal to the cylinder.

Just a little background. It has a 302, with AFR heads, and torqy cam. ONE DAY, I will be putting in a 408/351 stroker 9", built c4, and a RRS coil over, strut suspension on it with 4 wheel disc's.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Last photo:

please do a writeup on the hydroboost install, especially if you use the sn95 setup, im looking to do the swap sometime on my jeep cherokee
Old 08-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Bleed Blue

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetpirate
please do a writeup on the hydroboost install, especially if you use the sn95 setup, im looking to do the swap sometime on my jeep cherokee
I have a website http://www.houseofdula.com that documents everything Ive done on my car. So I will defidently plan on documenting the hydro setup.

-mike

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.