Custom idea need feedback - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 12:22 AM

Last journal entry: Some pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Custom idea need feedback

I have an idea for a custom type mod to either my caddy or if I get my hands on a good 50s to customize. It has probably been done before. But I was looking today at a couple of 50s cars and thought it would be neat to flip the way the hood and trunk both open up. The hood switched so it opens up and hinges at the front. And the trunk lid hinges at the very rear. Kind of a balanced approach.

I would like to know opinions on such a mod. I have thought about doing alot of custom touches to the caddy. Maybe not this idea exactly, but little things here and there to set it apart. How would suicide doors look on a mid 70s caddy? That is another custom touch I might like to look into. I want to be different, but not totally goofy just for the sake of being different.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2005, 03:01 AM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:

Sounds good, a 70's Caddy has a lot of potential I think. I like the hood and trunk lid idea, I'm building a '54 Chevy Bel Air with a retractable hardtop, I have to hinge my trunk lid that way too, in fact the trunk lid is most of the rear sheetmetal, from just above the bumper all the way to meeting the back window glass, and as wide as the roof too... it's one huge trunk lid. Suicide doors are also a good idea, drop it to the ground, give it a cool custom paint job and you will have yourself one sweet cruiser.

Rich
Old 03-11-2005, 04:49 AM
Big Block Bossa Nova

I think its a really good idea also, though if I'm following you right, it seems that the trunk might be a little hard to get into? If it's just for show purpose, thats a great idea, but if you have to actually use the trunk.. I'm not sure.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Rob
Old 03-11-2005, 06:09 AM
Slash and burn

did you ever think about spliting the trunk?
hinges on both sides cut down the middle
Old 03-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
One thing to consider, the hood, doors and deck lid on that Caddy are HEAVY. I remember doing a 76 Cad once where pulling the hood off took four people! The doors are without a doubt the the heaviest doors ever in my opinion. The hinges are often worn out, the hood often doesn't open well. To engineer the hinges AND HINGE MOUNTING to be strong enough is going to take some serious planning.

Personally, I feel the time on detailing will give you much more bang for your buck than making the panels open up "wrong".

The doors, cool, the hood.....stretching it, the trunk, no way, leave it alone.
Brian
Old 03-11-2005, 09:18 AM

Backwards

Some neet ideas but the weight could be a problem. they do flip front ends so as they say IF THERE IS A WILL THERE IS A WAY The hood maybe could be hinged and use a small electic or hydrolic accuatores to lift it. don't forget to brace things. GOOD LUCK
Old 03-11-2005, 06:43 PM

Last journal entry: Some pics
Last photo:

Thanks for the feedback. I think the suicide doors would go better if I ever totally took it apart to get the reinforcement Martin SR mentioned. Weld in some tubing up the door frame. Perhaps even in conjunction with making the rear windows roll up and down. Now that would be a project.

If I flipped the hood I would probably move the battery to the trunk and build some stout hinges up front.

The trunk was an idea I got looking at the 50 lincoln and 55 desoto. Those trunks are more or less one big curve. The angle on the caddy would make it harder to do and maybe make it look worse. Once I get it back in the garage I will take a look and see if it looks feasible. I am sure I could make hinges stout enough. The problem is the look and bulk of said hinges and how it interacts with the rear of the main body. Maybe some sort of fiberglass cover to blend it in with the trunk. But even that sounds kind of lame. I have one idea that might work(even make it easy to get to the trunk) and look really trick. If I can figure out the angles and how to make it work. If so I might do something similar for the hood. Once I refine it a little bit and have some drawings I will share the idea.

Alot of this is for the distant future when it is completed. My immediate plans are to get the tranny into it and a new windshield. Then spend some time fixing the little things. Once I get fairly smooth sailing as a cruiser I might look to the custom ideas.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:50 PM

Wmarden that's it.

Tricky for the sake of being tricky, in some circles is not received kindly. Often it ends up being a lot of work, for something without much impact. Suicide doors on your caddy, Great!!!!!! If you've ever had a car with them, you'd never go back. All though the doors are major customizing, the Caddy is a classic and should be reshaped gently to keep it's elegances. One man's opinion. Lots of luck with it 55z

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.