Custom made header question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2003, 12:19 AM
British Style with USA Muscle

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Post Custom made header question

I've found a et of custom made headers for my setup. I need to have air rails installed on them to make them "legal". The builder wants me to send one of my ram horn mainifolds in for measurements and fitting sizes, aren't all ram horns the same? Also can't I use a single fitting into the collector or must it be the 4 small fittings into each pipe?

Thanks
Mark
<RFC><
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2003, 04:20 PM

some have accessory bracket holes,some have a.i.r. emission fitting holes,and some come straight down while others curve backthere is even one that came out with a 3 bolt pattern in the center.what is the number on it?
Old 04-24-2003, 04:24 PM

but the way,i wouldn't send any rams horn manifolds anywhere,those things have a "habit" of getting lost.They are getting pretty hard to come by and I don't know of anyone who reproduces them very economically
Old 04-24-2003, 05:02 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Copper Top is right - don't send the manifolds anywhere.
Take measurements, pictures, write down descriptions, or whatever you can to best describe what you need.
Any competant builder worth his own weight in scrap steel should be able to supply you with what you need.
I would recommend using the individual fittings for all exhaust ports, as it will promote much more even gas temperature in the headers while promote more complete burning of all exhausted gases yielding better sniffer test results.
Does your application also require a catalytic converter? If so, having more exhaust gasses that are "burned off" before entering the converter will result in less contamination of the catalyst material in the converter, helping it do its job.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:55 AM

The ram's horn manifold rarity question has appeared again.
I go to several major swap meets and many local/area swap meets in the TX OK AR LA area and see plenty of ram's horns. There are so many it would probably be possible to match numbers if you're replacing something already on your car.
Some vendors have piles of them chest high.
15 or more years ago these "rare" manifolds were selling for $45-75 the pair. These prices haven't changed much. I just paid $15 for the LH manifold with gen mount for my son's 57 BelAir with 327V8.
Usually they are priced at $25-35 each these days unless you have an unusual app like those magic golden Corvettes.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Not only for the "rarity" questionability, but shouldn't anyone worth his weight in dirt be able to make the required tubing and fittings with comprehensive information for the application.
I cannot sensibly justify as a fabricator having a customer send me a set of exhaust manifolds to make the same measurements he can, and have his "precious" antique/classic/custom/rare-parts laying around my shop in my way.
Besides- in that case I made the part with his specs. and if they don't feel satisfied with the end result they already knew beforehand that custom parts are fabricated with the understanding that I will make the part to their initial specifications, if there are any questions as to the specs. I will contact them before they spent the first dollar if possible.
The customer is NOT always right and thats' why they come to me in the first place, to do something they can't or won't, but I do my best to make them happy with the end result.
Old 04-25-2003, 08:53 PM

It's faily difficult to find them in my neck of the woods and the ones I have found usually turn out to be cracked but,it does help to know where to look.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.