Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Custom paint tricks 101
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I have saw som really good Ghost flames ,you could walk by a couple times before you would notice them, I don't want sharp edges Tape line , showing .,I normaly use fine line an a color change or painted pin stripe,would flame be different,i hate to ask so many questions but I have never painted flames and I have 5 months in this rebuild and paint .I don't want to mess it up ,
Again, I hope you don't mind Jay if I chime in here, Ghost flames or flames of any kind are really a matter of taste, some are tastefully done others aren't...LOL.

One of the most important thing when doing flames is to make sure that each side matches the other. Using fine line is a good idea, when used properly and remember it's still just tape. Fine line if stretched to much will lift on corners or pull back if stretched to far to get that straight crisp line, even if it is laid down and all edges and curves look fine, solvents when drying will shrink an over stretched tape, especially if your blending color on top of color.

Where the matter of taste comes in may be how visible you want the flames to be, the amount of flames you see can be controlled in a number of ways. One way to control the visual aspect of ghost flames is to use pearls, the color of pearls is activated by light, especially sunlight. by painting a vehicle in a base, laying out your flames and masking the rest of the vehicle. Now add a small amount of pearl to the base color (do test panels with the base color and the pearl color, without light they should look like the same color, with light, especially sunlight, the flames will be visible and the base color hasn't been effected if only a small amount of pearl has been used), this type of ghost flame works well with darker colors, the darker the base color, the less pearl you need to spray in your flamed area....After this procedure has been done, clear the vehicle, I apply a minimum of 4 coats of clear. Then I color sand and polish...the tape line disappears.

Another method of Ghost Flaming and the one I prefer to use is the tri-coat method. First, I base the vehicle, then lay down my flames and mask the rest of the vehicle. Generally I use a variation of the base color, (either lighter or darker, depending on effect) and air brush the color onto the inside edge of the flame. Many times I use flames that intertwine each other, it give a better effect and shows great detail. The trick here is to remember which flame is crossing on top of which flame and keeping all flame crossing the same from side to side.

Here is a URL of a tri-coat flamed hood I did on a C10 truck. The truck was painted a metallic blue as a base color, for the flames I used a variation of the base blue and made 7 different shades of blue, airbrushed/blended them into the outlined flamed area. Using the same method, I laid flames down both sides of the truck and repeated the airbrushing/blending technique. After the flames where what I wanted, I unmasked all the flames and applied 4 coats of a transparent Orange Mid coat, followed by 5 coats of clear, cut and polish.

Hood Only
087 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This shows the flames intertwining.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wickedg...7629325924897/

One of the biggest challenges, as I mentioned is getting the ghost flames to be identical side to side on the fenders took a fair amount of measuring, re-taping and walking around from side to side to make sure both sides where the same. Getting the flames the exact same from side to side on the hood was even more difficult because you can see both sides of the hood at the same time. The hardest part of the whole job was 6 months later the customer came to me with a tonneau cover that he wanted the exact same flames that I had put on the hood brushed into the tonneau cover. My memory is OK but , not nearly good enough to remember all the different shades of blue I used to get the effect on the rear cover that I got on the hood. This is where keeping a log or daily journal comes in handy and I had all 7 different shades of blue written down with formulas for all shades and how I had blended the colors together to get the effect. The hood did match the tonneau cover.

Here are several more pictures of the truck, side views with and without light on the flames.

Inner Wheel Well
Left Front Fender
097 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Engine Bay
085 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Fender
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wickedg...7629325924897/

Complete Truck
111 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If there are question I can answer I'd be happy to and Jay I hope it's Okay that I went on a long rant and posted URL's.

Ray

Last edited by 69 widetrack; 04-19-2013 at 07:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (04-19-2013)