Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Custom paint tricks 101
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
A very good example of the style!!!

I will let someone more experienced get deeper into this technique. I have not done many of this style... and those have been on bikes, so they are much smaller.

I can tell you that they are usually done "freehand" using stencils and airbrush.
I have just started doing these...am I good at it? Well compared to the first ones I tried....they are getting better...I am still working at getting all my stencils made and duplicates of the ones that I like.

Your right Jay, they are done with an airbrush, freehand and stencils. The stencils are hand held and moved at different angles overlapping only part of the previous different stenciled flame. I'm still making up my different stencils and duplicating the ones that work well. The part I'm finding difficult is getting the colors looking right. I did a test panel with blue flames, all the same color, went back over it when I was done with different darker shades of blue and white through my airbrush and shaded the sides of the predominant flames...that worked and it looked OK. I do need more practice...this is art.

If someone has done these and can offer any tips, I'm all ears.

Painted Jester, here's one set of flames that one side isn't going to be like the other...guaranteed.