Custom paint tricks 101 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2013, 12:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Custom paint tricks 101

After a lengthy discussion in another thread about a paint technique, someone suggested a thread dealing with the way some custom paint tricks are done.

I was "volunteered" to start it... and since I have liked to talk about this subject for over 40 years, here we go!

I'll make the first topic an easy one... "COBWEBBING".

I'm sure it was discovered when a painter left the thinner out of his lacquer paint, then tried to spray it! At least that is the basic principal, but it does not normally work with enamels, and lacquers are disappearing.

If you can find lacquer, I have successfully used it this way:

Pick a color that shows up well on top of your base color. If it is dark, use a light webbing color. If it is a light base, use a dark color. The strands are very thin, and without a lot of contrast, they won't show up.

Spray a base color in urethane.

Allow it to flash.

Put the lacquer into the gun with no thinner.

Find a place to test spray it.

The trick is to turn the air fan knob all the way in, so it directs a stream... open the paint knob way up... then drop the air pressure so it is just enough to pull the paint up out of the cup.

Spray from 2 or 3 feet away... and move fast across the surface! You will be surprised how quickly it comes out!

To make the webbing finer you can try the following:
Cut down the paint knob to allow less paint throught the gun, or...
Up the air pressure to cause the wet webbs to break up more before they hit the surface...
Or add a very small amount of thinner to the lacquer to cause the paint to "string" less. Add just a little at a time. You cannot take it back out! If you add too much, add some unthinned pait to it.

Once you have gotten a pattern you like... do the same exact combination of things on your final project.

Let it dry as long as possible, then get some mid-coat clear sprayed over it.

It may need to allow it to dry and shrink... or it can be lightly sanded to level the final surface. You can do that before your final clear, so you don't have the webbing shrink later, causing the top-coat clear to sink above the strands.

One more possibility: If you can't find some lacquer...

Krylon make acrylic enamel webbing spray in aerosol cans. It is used for artsy projects, so you may find it in local stores that deal with those types of products. Other companies may offer it too. Here is a link to Krylon about it... http://www.krylon.com/products/webbing_spray/

You might do some test panels to see if it is compatible with your paint system.

The flamed "Captain Chaos" drag boat below was done using lacquer webbing with a urethane paint system.

Now get creative! The bike job combined webbing with some dribbled lines from a paint stick, to look like cracks in a stone texture.

Anyone else have some tips??? Now have fun! :-)~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 20#.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	73318   Click image for larger version

Name:	my pictures406.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	73319  

Last edited by TucsonJay; 04-19-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 12:33 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

will be watching this one
Old 04-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Custom Paint sub forum

We or at leastI am working on establishing acustom paint sub forum under body exterior.

Sam
Old 04-19-2013, 01:30 PM

Nice write up. I would add that this will not work with a gravity feed gun. The old Binks 77 works great for this.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33Willys77 View Post
Nice write up. I would add that this will not work with a gravity feed gun. The old Binks 77 works great for this.
Thanks. I never tried it with anything but a siphon feed, that is good to know. {:-)
Old 04-19-2013, 02:08 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: $2500.oo Trans AM is home at last
Last photo:

Hey J:

For beginners that cant get it!

I get a lot of my lacquer from Metalflake Paint - Dazzling 3D Metalic Finishes and its compatible with PPG thinners etc, and they are of great quality and prices are good, their powdered pearls are very reasonable ! A chip book is 40 dollars the online chip book doesn't do the colors justice!!!

I still get Lacquers from PPG but not in the small stores, I have to drive 200 miles the small stores don't want to handle it here, it sets on the shelves too long because the demand isn't there

If you guys that never used lacquer use cheep thinners ETC!! your finished results will show it!

and they have close outs when the expiration date is getting close! Any one that wants to practice check their sales!!

The pearls and many colors are pre mixed and ready to spray so you don't have to be worried if you never mixed before!! The ground coats are metallic except for black and white ground coats! and when cleared by themselves are beautiful colors! And all colors mix to create your own colors! If your going to paint a large area mix all your qts of the same color needed together before spraying! you don't want to open another can in the middle of a project and find out its a little different! and ask for a complete tech sheet when you buy any paint !!! Don't let your supplier just download one page of mixing instructions you need the whole tech sheet!!!

METALFLAKE.COM
508-932 -3339
Metalflake@comcast.net
CLOSE OUT SALE 2013

CANDY LACQUERS
C-9 TURQUOISE 25.00/ QUART
C-13 BRICK RED 25.00/ QUART
C-18 VERMILLION 25.00/ QUART

GROUNDCOATS
CHARCOAL GRAY 25.00/ QUART
GRANDE RED 25.00/ QUART

STAR PEARLS
SP-20 BLACK PEARL 25.00/QUART
FLIP FLOP PEARLS

FF-10 PURPLE 25.00/ QUART
FF-11 ORANGE 25.00/ QUART
FF-13 GREEN 25.00/ QUART
FF-14 YELLOW 25.00/ QUART
FF-15 RED 25.00/ QUART

They are also in Europe Metalflake - Welcome To Metalflake

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 04-19-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

I still have my treasured JGA-502 hanging in my garage. I took in a job and didn't have a quality gun for the work on it, I took a deposit for the job and went to the paint store and bought the gun. Did this a few times when I first opened the shop, working on a tight budget.

Jay, thank you so much for the lesson. This one of the very few you can give that I will know before I read it. Basics baby, basics you are starting at number 1 as you should but I never thought about how you would attack this thread, and this is perfect!

In the one and only time I ever did cob webs I was 18, it was 1977 and at my first full time job I started a week out of highschool. It was repairing used cars at my sisters bodyshop.

I don't even think I asked if I could do it (I was left at the shop days on end alone) but I put an 8" stripe around a van (custom van days!) on the body lines and put some cob webbed panels in that stripe. A few "star bursts" too! LOL, the dealership was thrilled as I had done it for free.

Like many forms of custom paint, it's a "controled mistake".

Brian
Old 04-19-2013, 03:11 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Just an addition to my last post for their candy concentrates over their ground coats.

If any ones interested?

Metalflake Paint - Dazzling 3D Metalic Finishes
Old 04-19-2013, 04:16 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay View Post
Thanks. I never tried it with anything but a siphon feed, that is good to know. {:-)
I tried LOL I won't again LOL I use my siphon guns for all the old effects and flames! LOL I'm just an old dog who sticks to his old ways I guess

Who do you get your lacquer from and Candy Concentrates J?

How do the new laws effect each of you guys in your shops? In Michigan the law depends on how many gallons of paint you shoot a year, if you don't shoot too many gallons a year you don't even need a booth, the more paint you shoot the more the EPA and local laws puts the screws to ya LOL !!! I had to install a fume and particle catcher in one of my shops it cost thousands and had to install it on the roof, and when I downsized I didn't even need to filter the outgoing air from my booth LOL I did filter it though! I had neighbors to keep happy

Some part store suppliers tell me lacquer is illegal for them to sell But I know that's a lie because they still sell cleanup thinner and lacquer primers like Acme and Kondar LOL

I hope this isn't stealing your thread I'm just curious?

Jester
Old 04-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

Any tips for taping ghost flames,
Old 04-19-2013, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
Who do you get your lacquer from and Candy Concentrates J?

I hope this isn't stealing your thread I'm just curious?
Jester

I don't normally buy lacquer any more... but I kept a good inventory of colors when I switched to a primarily urethane system.

This is everybody's thread! Share whatever advise you can! :-)
Old 04-19-2013, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
When I get some time I will do a "flame" subject, if nobody else does it first. Even then I will share some of the more unusual things I have discovered or incorporated.
The Following User Says Thank You to TucsonJay For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 05:26 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496CHEVY3100 View Post
I now this is meant for Jay: but I tape them the same as any other flame, Or do you want to know the type tape that's used? I don't draw or lay them out I just get the tape and start laying it down. One tip is to clean the area to be taped really well and then pre prep just like your going to paint! wash your hands any oil off your hand and fingers under the tape can ruin a good tape job!! Check tape edges and then double check especially on curves when the whole area not to be painted is covered check taped area and edges again, and make sure there is nothing you don't want painted showing not even a spot the width of a human hair !! It will stick out like a sore thumb when you pull the tape and paper!!! The worst thing is to be in the middle of painting and have a tape edge start to lift or roll off a curve

Jay I hope its alright for me to comment

Jester

I see you already said it was ok LOL we posted at the same time LOL

Last edited by painted jester; 04-19-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Appalachian American

Last journal entry: ,
Last photo:

I have saw som really good Ghost flames ,you could walk by a couple times before you would notice them, I don't want sharp edges Tape line , showing .,I normaly use fine line an a color change or painted pin stripe,would flame be different,i hate to ask so many questions but I have never painted flames and I have 5 months in this rebuild and paint .I don't want to mess it up ,
Old 04-19-2013, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
I now this is meant for Jay: but I tape them the same as any other flame, Or do you want to know the type tape that's used? I don't draw or lay them out I just get the tape and start laying it down. One tip is to clean the area to be taped really well and then pre prep just like your going to paint! wash your hands any oil off your hand and fingers under the tape can ruin a good tape job!! Check tape edges and then double check especially on curves when the whole area not to be painted is covered check taped area and edges again, and make sure there is nothing you don't want painted showing not even a spot the width of a human hair !! It will stick out like a sore thumb when you pull the tape and paper!!! The worst thing is to be in the middle of painting and have a tape edge start to lift or roll off a curve

Jay I hope its alright for me to comment

Jester

I see you already said it was ok LOL we posted at the same time LOL
I agree with you. No difference in masking between ghost flames and other colors.
The Following User Says Thank You to TucsonJay For This Useful Post:
496CHEVY3100 (04-19-2013)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.