Custom painting where do I start? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2006, 12:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Custom painting where do I start?

Hi guys

I am new to the custom world but not new to the vehicle repair trade.

What would be easy tricks in custom painting to try? I am eager to learn different techniques & colour choices/combinations but lack imagination at the moment.

I have tried candys over silver, Mirra Crome & Multi Chrome all came out nice but I want to aspire to some really good custom effects. I also want to know what clears you guys are using at the moment.

Any information will be greatly received.

Steve.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2006, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

House of color video's?

Well worth the money and check Auto Aire as they either have or are coming out with a start to finish one.

Plan on spending $30-50 but any video like mentioned is a good investment.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

definately videos will give you some good info. goto www.airbrushaction.com. they have the largest and best selection of videos out there plus the magazine is a must. for a clear you will want something with a high solids to build up over graphics easily. for special effects and tricks, that is really too broad a subject and too in depth to be taught on a forum so get yourself some of the videos. just remember one thing, technology doesn't make a paintjob cool, the artistry does. any painter can come along and pickup a quart of the latest special effect paint on the market and paint a car with it. be different and imaginative. it will go slower in the beginning but you will go further and stand out in the long run.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last journal entry: Strangest job I've ever done
Last photo:

Most any of Craig Fraser's vid's & DVD's are some of the best.
He's very down to earth and will show you how to do just about any style.
Coast Airbrush or Dixie Art both stock them.
Mike Lavallee's True Fire DVD is the bible for the real fire effect.
www.killerpaint.com
Auto Graphics magazine is specifically for automotive graphics and Fraser is a columnist in it as well.
www.autographicsmag.com
Those, and YOUR own imagination.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the info guys. I am looking forward to doing some cool effects soon. What is the current "In" thing at the moment? What about chrome sprays?
Old 01-09-2006, 01:50 PM

Last photo:

i can tell you i have had a bottle of mirrachrome sitting in the cabinet for 2 years now and only touched it once. the big thing that i find alot of people love are real flames.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Hand striping

One of the things a fellow can do that is always "in' is to aquire some striping brushes and practice hand striping skills..From there a good dual action airbrush and practice practice practice..work on developing your own style..

OMT
Old 01-11-2006, 08:03 PM

Last photo:

One more is right on...make yer own style. Start conservative then go nuts. Buy some old bike tanks. Most shops replace em even if their easy fixxes. great for practice, takes no real estate up to work on/store. Go for it, but do your own thing.

As far as colors go, taste and restraint go a long way. Some really true craftsmanship has been wasted by poor colors. The Sturgis issues of airbrush action mag are great for color selections and blends...some stuff you may never think of. If I said I'm going to paint your bike green and orange you prolly wanna kick me in the stones. It's amazing how well that combo looks, although in my opinion it's played out. Soon to be with the true fire stuff as well I think. So, you need to build YOU. Get going...you're the only thing holdin you up!
Old 01-13-2006, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the advice guys. At the moment im buzzing on candys. I have done some crash helmets in high aluminium & dropped different candys over the top. I love the clean look of it. I am wondering though, will it stripe if I was to do a car in silver/candy? At the moment I am droppin 5% candy in my clear coat is this the way?
Old 01-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

It's one of many Steve.
It depends on the "version" of kandy your using.
If we are talking HOK products.
UK is the orginal kandy which is VERY hard to do a complete vehicle with IF you don't know your stuff. It's a different product than the other versions.
KK mixed with clear,binder, or SG-100 is the graphic's guy's choice for custom stuff.
KBC is what most people use as it's KK,SG, and some pearl mixed in a "user friendly" form of base type paint. It's generally sprayed over another color,usually black, and is the easiest to use. Not the "best" IMO for a real kandy job but it does make life easy for a complete.
PPG's line I don't know as I've never shot it.
All of these have to be cleared over as none have UV protection.
RM Diamont has a kandy line as well but again,not used by me.
Dupont has the Hot Hues line which is a sort of copy cat of HOK line. Close but not quite.
My advice for seeing IF your ready for a complete would be to get a long piece of metal or some junk doors and try yourself on those.
It takes some gun adjustment and different techniques to lay kandy,so some practice IS required. Another thing is that the BASE hase to be right as well,cause if it's mottled,striped,etc. The kandy will just replicate the same look.
Mixing KK in the actual clear coat is another way but probbly the least advisable due to the fact that kandy's have to be applied in multiple layers and laying THAT many coats of clear would be a big problem. Getting the color shading right in just a couple of coats would be lucky to say the least.
It's called "Gheto Kandy" and if you've ever seen any of these job's,you'll understand why it's not the best way.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:28 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for that Bee. As I am new to all the custom stuff I started with the Alsa roducts. This is because I was playing with the mirra chrome & then dropped a candy on that.

I have been painting for about 15yrs but only now am I doing custom stuff. I has gripped my attention. You American guys are the tops at all that stuff!! That is why I have joined your site to learn straight from the best!

When you say gun adjusting etc what do you mean? Also do you have to cross coat etc to get the even spray pattern?
Old 01-14-2006, 05:34 AM

Last photo:

your gun needs to be adjusted so the spray is perfectly even from top to bottom. with your candy mixed and in the gun do some test on some masking paper on the side of the booth wall and adjust as necessary. if its off even the slightest or the gun isn't atomizing the whole job will have stripes or be blotchy. you dont need to crosscoat. if you not able to to lay the color down perfectly even then crosscoatong wont help you either. you will just go from having stripes in one direction to having them in both.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Problem Child,Hard Case

Last photo:

Jim's right on as always. I tend to "lean" my spray pattern out on the "ends" a little as I'm not professiant at this as some. It helps with the stripping and be sure to keep your pass's at a 75% overlap and your speed of travel consistant as that will cause mottling or dark and light spotting.
It really comes down to the fact that IF you can shoot a silver metallic well,you can do kandy. You just don't have the option of drop coating to "fix" it. Going light on the KK coloring with the first couple of coats helps as well.
your not trying to achieve color coverage like you do with regular base paint and build it gradualy to get what you want. Once you get the hang of it,you can shoot with more color but it's easy to screw it up with a heavy color mix at first.
Another BIG issue is trash, It's actually worse than clear as once it gets in the coat,it causes a dark spot and fixing it is almost impossiable,so try to keep the area as clean and bug free as you can.
I'd like some tips on this problem myself as it's really caused some nice work to be less than desired because of it.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.