Custom Pitman Arm - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2007, 09:54 PM
THUG LIFE

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Custom Pitman Arm

Does anyone out their know where to get a custom pitman arm made? I need a custom pitman arm made for a car that has been straight axled. The currant arm is to short & makes the car turning radius way wide, makes driving in parking lots a nightmare. The front axle is capable of turning tighter but the short pitman arm is limiting the turning radius.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2007, 11:32 PM

Need Way More Information.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:28 AM
THUG LIFE

Last photo:

'73 Pontiac Grand Safari 4 Door Wagon with stock power steering. '77 Chevy 4X4 front axle with differential removed, straight tube installed & crossover steering.
Old 07-13-2007, 06:41 PM

By crossover steering do you mean like a vega style? What steering box are you using?
Old 07-14-2007, 01:08 AM

Last photo:

Welding pitman arm

Now I know there will be a lot of teeth nashing about this but it is totally possible to weld a pitman arm. I would never recommend doing it but the way to do it is to get a pitman arm that is the same type as the one you would want to use. Cut the end off the one you want to use and grind the ends to a point and cut another piece that is of similar thickness and cut it to length and bevel both ends to a point preheat the arm and the insert to a color of straw and t.i.g. weld the piece so the arm is longer. Make sure to keep it straight. Make sure to get the weld all the way through even if you have to grind in from the opposite side from where you are welding. Weld the whole thing till the weld is thicker than the arm. Sand the arm in the length ways direction to relieve stress risers. Heat the arm till a pale blue color and wrap it in fiberglass insulation (about 6" worth) let cool for a day or so. Tou will never be able to bust this thing in a million years but we cannot weld suspension parts so you are outa luck ...
Old 07-14-2007, 11:54 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

How long is your crossover steering arm on the top of the knuckle?
How long is the pitman arm? How much drop do you need the pitman arm to have (if any)?

I'm using a 70's ford van pitman arm on my 71 k5 with crossover steering. It has enough drop to clear my frame (about 2" of drop) and is the right length to get full steering. Your steering box should have the same sector shaft spline as the 2wd truck steering box that I'm using. I had to re-taper it to fit the larger GM tie rod ends that I used. I got the tapered reamer from xkut on ebay.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:38 AM

Last photo:

pitman arm

Price is correct. I've seen older welders, stock car and custom car builders shorten/ lenghten/ repair forged steel parts. The old timers slowed the parts cooling time by packing the just welded part in sand.

Warning this is off topic to the question asked.
This is just a rant:
There was ingenuity, creativity long before it became common place to hand someone wads of cash to build/ assemble store bought parts for thier custom, street rod, race car and then have the gall to say look what I built instead of the truth look what I comissioned. Very few people have the talent or time to completly build thier project but to say I built this in my opinion one should of at least assembled at least 80% of their vehicle. This is what is cool about this site eevryone is doing thier best at building their own ride.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:24 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

I have made a few pitman arms. Take a pitman arm that fits the box and cut off the splined end that fits the shaft. Cut this piece round. Now take a piece of 1/2" x 2" steel bar and make a hole in it so that the old pitman arm end will fit in this hole. Grind as needed. After you get it were you need it weld it real good on both sides and just let it air cool. Bend this arm as needed. You will have to heat it with a torch or have acess to a big press brake. On the other end I used a heim. But you can drill a hole and ream if you need a taper.
I made quite a few on old straight axle gassers back in the day.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.