Custom Shift light - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2005, 08:53 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Custom Shift light

I'm building a custom shift light using high intensity LED's and a MSD RPM activation box to trigger the circuit. Question: Has anyone wired up more than one LED in a series/parrallel circuit? How should I wire the circuit with the MSD switch?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2005, 02:50 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

The easy way, is to go here, and get one of these...

http://www.msdignition.com/tc_13_rpm.htm
DOC
Old 11-05-2005, 08:47 AM

Last photo:

Yea I could do it the easy way, but doing it the easy way wont make it unique.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Doc Here,

Well, just hooking LED's up in a series / Parallel arrangement isn't gonna get what you want either.

Not having the MSD diagram in front of me, but looking at the accessory product description, They provide a signal output and low (or ground ) to the lamp array.

At the Very minimum, and Not too accurate, you would have to measure the output there, as you reached your shift points.

Then , say your using 3 LED's Green 1, Yellow 2 , red 3, hook it up this way, the output directly to a Zenier diode, the green LED, say first shift point is 3 volts, you need to install a 3.1 volt (or there abouts ) So the LED remains off until 3 volts is achieved..then from that LED run another zenier to the yellow LED, Say it's shift point is 6 volts, Use a 6.1 zenier there, so it lights just after 6 volts..on the third say it's 9 volts..use a 9.1 zenier..This would give you an LED at each approximate shift point, but not shut down the lamp before it. Not too accurate at all...

To achieve accuracy, you would need an OP amp like a Bargraph chip for instance, this would provide an output for each individual shift light and turn it off after voltage is achieved..It would also provide a Null for adjustment of the shift points.

You could also use a TTL Divide by "N" counter like a 7490, and a seven segment decoder, your single input would be F/in, and low..have to run an external reset switch from the reset pin to get a "New Start" function, (or an over voltage loop for top end) you would then have to configure your counter jumpers for the best configurations for your app..Divide by 2 , Divide by 5, divide by 10 Ect..the output side would be on the seven segment decoder / Driver..each segment would light at a certain output from the Counter and shut down after, which would be each LED ... with the decoder, you would also have special functions, like "Dim/Bright" and Flash...

Or you could use Transistors, with a single input common, set to cascade at various shift points..(voltages)

Or an op amp VCo...

By Series parallel connection, I should think you'd get "All" or nothing at all" function at the LEDS..

Doc
Old 11-05-2005, 05:49 PM

Last photo:

Wow You just gave me another idea about how to do this. I originally had just planned to use the MSD RPM activation module used to trigger any circuit at a specified RPM. Then wire the LEDS in an all or none fashion cause thats all you get with MSD lights anyway. Now I think I will use different color LEDS for each shift point.
Old 11-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derkyb
Wow You just gave me another idea about how to do this. I originally had just planned to use the MSD RPM activation module used to trigger any circuit at a specified RPM. Then wire the LEDS in an all or none fashion cause thats all you get with MSD lights anyway. Now I think I will use different color LEDS for each shift point.
Doc here,

KEWL

Let me know what you come up with...

Maybe when your done, draw and post us a schematic ..always looking for home-brew stuff like this..as an alternative to store bought..

PLUS...It feels good to say.."I Did it"...

Doc
Old 11-20-2005, 08:11 PM

Last photo:

Well this is what I came up with, decided to keep it simple and wire 8 superbright LED's in series/parrallel using two 220ohm resistors. I will use a MSD RPM activation switch to trigger it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shiftlite.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	7937  

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.