customer wants a choppy idle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Veteran/Firefighter-EMT-I CRT

Wiki Edits: 0

customer wants a choppy idle

okay here is the deal, a bit over a year ago a friends dad payed me to build a 355 for his mid 80's K-5 Blazer. he wanted to keep cost down then so here is what i built for him. he does not race the truck, just cruises around.

5cc flat top pistons (10.2:1), scat 5.7 rods, stock resurfaced 3.48" crank, dart 200cc platinum heads (i liked them when i had them), rpm intake and 3310 750 carb. the cam that i put in this motor was a new version of a cam that i had in my 383, 240/250 @ .050 .525/.525" with 110LSA. he wanted an estimate of how much power did it make and i told him about 420hp/410tq

the truck has 33x12.5 tires, built th350, 3500 stall, and 4.56 gears.

now he is saying that he likes the power that the truck has but that it doesn't have enough of a choppy idle, to make him happy i've even messed with the timing on this truck to see if i can please him but it's just not enough.

so he is paying me to build him a 383 now, he is on a quest for that magical 500hp number i can't say much, i've been there too. so what i have now is 12cc dished pistons, scat 5.7 rods, scat cast steel 3.75" crank which should put me around similar compression as the 355 (10.3:1). he wants to use the same 200cc dart platinum heads, carb and intake. i told him that we would have to fit the heads with new springs since he wants a roller cam, i also mentioned that i thought it would be a very good idea if he let me clean the ports up some. this will be my first time doing this myself, i've seen plenty of pictures, seen my heads after they were done and read the books so i think i can manage it, i'm only gonna clean it up some.

so after all this, here is my question: he wants a super choppy idle and i have given him the option of either having a hyd roller custom ground with these specs 244/248, .380" at the lobe = .570/.570" ground with a 106 LSA, or getting a solid roller cam with similar specs already ground. do you think that using this tight of an LSA will get him that choppy idle he is looking for? and do you think it's a better idea to use the custom ground hyd roller or the already ground solid roller.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 08:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by my87Z
okay here is the deal, a bit over a year ago a friends dad payed me to build a 355 for his mid 80's K-5 Blazer. he wanted to keep cost down then so here is what i built for him. he does not race the truck, just cruises around.

5cc flat top pistons (10.2:1), scat 5.7 rods, stock resurfaced 3.48" crank, dart 200cc platinum heads (i liked them when i had them), rpm intake and 3310 750 carb. the cam that i put in this motor was a new version of a cam that i had in my 383, 240/250 @ .050 .525/.525" with 110LSA. he wanted an estimate of how much power did it make and i told him about 420hp/410tq

the truck has 33x12.5 tires, built th350, 3500 stall, and 4.56 gears.

now he is saying that he likes the power that the truck has but that it doesn't have enough of a choppy idle, to make him happy i've even messed with the timing on this truck to see if i can please him but it's just not enough.

so he is paying me to build him a 383 now, he is on a quest for that magical 500hp number i can't say much, i've been there too. so what i have now is 12cc dished pistons, scat 5.7 rods, scat cast steel 3.75" crank which should put me around similar compression as the 355 (10.3:1). he wants to use the same 200cc dart platinum heads, carb and intake. i told him that we would have to fit the heads with new springs since he wants a roller cam, i also mentioned that i thought it would be a very good idea if he let me clean the ports up some. this will be my first time doing this myself, i've seen plenty of pictures, seen my heads after they were done and read the books so i think i can manage it, i'm only gonna clean it up some.

so after all this, here is my question: he wants a super choppy idle and i have given him the option of either having a hyd roller custom ground with these specs 244/248, .380" at the lobe = .570/.570" ground with a 106 LSA, or getting a solid roller cam with similar specs already ground. do you think that using this tight of an LSA will get him that choppy idle he is looking for? and do you think it's a better idea to use the custom ground hyd roller or the already ground solid roller.
Lopey cam that has no torque in a heavy blazer... not a good idea.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:53 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

What exhaust and mufflers is he running? That'll probably satisfy his goals of sound. That cam is big enough to have a heavy lope but the mufflers make a hell of a difference in sound.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:54 AM

oh trust me i have gone over this with him over and over again, to the point of frustration. but "what the customer wants he gets". i told him that the 240/250 cam that i put in the 355 was more than i would recomend for the truck but that is what he wanted. he seems to be far more concerned with how it sounds then how the truck runs as total. and of coarse he wants to be able to say he has 500hp. i've told him that he wants the tq not the hp but his response is always "i want to pull up to a light with a nasty idle and have people looking" i think the truck sounds and runs great now, but it's not my truck.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72
What exhaust and mufflers is he running? That'll probably satisfy his goals of sound. That cam is big enough to have a heavy lope but the mufflers make a hell of a difference in sound.

iv'e mentioned that to him too, not sure what mufflers he has, i'll see if i can find out. i told him that it would sound good with the mufflers i have on my truck, the Thrush welded mufflers. but he isn't convinced that will get him what he wants.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Man, the guy trusts you to build the engine, you delivered the power he wants, but still won't listen to your recommendation on a cam. Man, that's a rough. If the mufflers don't do it, slap a Thumper in it and send him on his poser way. What else can you do?
Old 05-14-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rockin daddy
Man, the guy trusts you to build the engine, you delivered the power he wants, but still won't listen to your recommendation on a cam. Man, that's a rough. If the mufflers don't do it, slap a Thumper in it and send him on his poser way. What else can you do?

he mentioned these to me and i told him that the big mutha thumer cam would have a choppy idle but then he wanted my opinion on them and how much power i though he would make with it and he didn't like what i told him. i just spoke to him and he says that he really wants to stay away from adjusting the valves so i told him that a custom hyd roller cam with the 106LSA was the way to go.

what do you guys think about this 10.3:1 383 with the DARt 200cc platinum heads and a hyd roller cam of around 244/248 .570/.570" with a 106LSA?

i know i wouldn't want it personally but, do you even think this will run on pump gas with that tight LSA
Old 05-14-2012, 01:19 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I think I wouldn't touch the engine until you knew it had good headers exhaust and mufflers. The wrong exhaust can make any engine sound like crap. I'd do dual 3" with the thrush welded mufflers and at least 1 5/8" headers.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 PM

well the truck has 3" duals with flowmaster 50 series mufflers (i told him he should change them) and it has headman 1 5/8" headers.

after i told him that it was going to cost him around $3000 for the short block, and complete valve train changed to roller, plus all the gaskets etc. he decided that was too much and wants to just go with the Comp Cams big mutha thumpr 299thr7 cam with the current 355 he has now. i told him that the comp cams kit for this cam was around $1100 and he would still have to pay to have the springs changed out etc. i estimated all this with gaskets, and new pushrods would be around $1500. i also let him know that in the end it wouldn't make any more hp/tq than it does now (likely less) and the only real thing that would change is that his pockets would have $1500 less and he would have a bit of a choppier idle.

oh i also told him that i wouldn't be doing the work for him, as i completly disagreed with his decision and didn't want my name attached to the finished product.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Yessssssss! Somebody with integrity and balls. I love it. I salute you sir!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 PM

Man If he wants some one to look at him in his truck at the light go headers with straight pipe and add a cross pipe to get the little loss of torque and horse back. that will get peoples attention at the light. Can always add resinator at the end of tail pipe area. Don't know about emmissions though Besides he needs more bottom end to mid torque and horse in heavy vehicle.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

If you change the cam you got (that worked very well for you) for a Isky #201547 you will get what he wants. a meaner idle and more top end power.

degree it in on a 99 to 102 intake C/L

254 259 @.050" .547" .548" .016-.018 106 lsa

www.iskycams.com

when you install this cam a bit advanced (99 to 102 in c/L)
you achieve two good things.
You close the intake valve a bit sooner to get good cylinder pressure and torque with 10.3:1 cr.
You open the exhaust valve sooner to increase the "thump"

These are the real deal cams that git the thump and the bite too.

Setting the valve lash a bit tighter than cam card spec will increase the thump too. (longer running duration)
say .004" tighter (cold)
I think you and he will like this Isky # 547A cam.

Switch to the louder 40 series Flowmaster race mufflers for max thump.

Valve to piston clearance should be checked. It should be ok but check it before fireing it up.

Changing the gears to a 5.13 to 5.38 will definately increase the stop light fun factor. You will notice the fun factor increase a lot more than building a new 383.
The lil 355 just needs to rev. The 33" tires mandate a stiff rear gear.

make these changes and it will sound and go like hell on wheels.

Last edited by F-BIRD'88; 05-15-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Adding a Edelbrock Street Tunnel Ram and two edelbrock 650-750carbs will push the Isky 547A cammed 355 way over 500hp.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:23 PM

Last photo:

Pull a couple plug wires and screw up the carb adjustment, should idle just like he wants it to
Old 05-15-2012, 03:13 PM

Last journal entry: 27
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FmrStrtracer
Pull a couple plug wires and screw up the carb adjustment, should idle just like he wants it to
yeaH!
my idea was to give him a cd recording of the sound of a dragster and tell him to buy a $10'000 stereo
he could play the cd at stoplights.

but your idea is even better

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.