Hot Rod Forum banner

Cut and Buff Single Stage paint

10K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  x711 
#1 ·
Hi all, After I complete my paint job I shall be color sanding. Do any
of you have any hints or tips for cut and buff on single stage paint.

The paint I am using is Valspar Omega 2K

Thanks X.

#2 ·
Well, that's what I'm starting to do right now only with PPG Global DG Single Stage.

This is what I am planning on doing:

1. Block by hand with 1000 wet.
2. Block by hand with 1500 wet.
3. Use 3M Trizact 3000 foam pads on a DA wet.
4. Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (05930) with a polisher and 3M foam pad.
5. Perfect-It III Finishing Glaze (05941)with a DA and 3M foam pad.

I have never done it this way before, so I hope it works well. All this stuff was outrageously expensive at the local Sherwin Williams store. Should have shopped around on the net for it.

#3 ·
roger1 said:
...4. Perfect-It III Machine Glaze (05930) with a polisher and 3M foam pad...
I'm interested to see how this works on a complete vehicle. The catalog states that this product will remove 3000 grit scratches, but also says that it's "Ideal for spot/small repair areas", which indicates to me that you might be there for an extended period with the buffer.

#4 ·
crashtech said:
I'm interested to see how this works on a complete vehicle. The catalog states that this product will remove 3000 grit scratches, but also says that it's "Ideal for spot/small repair areas", which indicates to me that you might be there for an extended period with the buffer.
Yea, I knew that when I bought this stuff but I wanted to avoid going to the wool Superbuff pads. I've had trouble in the past getting a few scratchs using wool pads although they were Schlegel brand not the 3M.
A few on this forum have indicated that using the foam pads results in no scratches. Is there an alternative to the Perfect-It III Machine Glaze that you think might work better?
Some more buffing time with the Machine Glaze wouldn't bother me as long as it doesn't turn out to be a P.I.T.A.

#6 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the reply, and best of luck on your paint jobs.

I was looking to use the Presto line of products as they look good to me.

http://www.prestaproducts.com/

I have never painted a Car before so this is my first cut at it. I shall
try post pics when its complete.

The Valspar Paint seems to set up very well and has got nice DOI
even without cutting and buffing. My cut and buff will mainly be to
remove the nice little dust particulas that I am sure will make there
way into the paint :) Oh for a a real down draft spray booth !, like in my
dreams.

Thanks .... X

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.