Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Cut-off disc warning (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cut-off-disc-warning-202136.html)

oldred 07-17-2011 09:45 AM

Cut-off disc warning

I was on another forum today and read a post from a guy who had just experienced something I have also seen. Apparently he had been using a cut-off disc on a 4 1/2" grinder and since the disc was already mounted on the grinder he attempted to grind a nub off of a spot weld with it and the disc disinterested. I myself have been guilty of doing this and also have experienced exploding discs which can be very dangerous, about 10 years ago in Ky a guy was very seriously injured when one exploded and hit him in the neck nearly killing him. Apparently these things are safe only for cutting with the edge and attempting to grind with one, even for only a very short time, is a very dangerous practice and should never be done. Personally I will never attempt it again since it takes only seconds to change to the right disc and the results from not doing so might be disastrous. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

OneMoreTime 07-17-2011 09:58 AM

Cut off wheels will explode if they are bound in a cut or subjected to side loads. The guy most subject to this is the guy who only has one 4" grinder and is in a hurry. Those small grinders are cheap enough to have more than one and each one with its own type of wheel on it. Plus it is a lot more convenient to have those little grinders available with the proper wheels for each type of grinding..

Sam

matt167 07-17-2011 10:00 AM

I did it once, and the disc started to come apart very quickly. There quick enough to change, even if you have only 1 grinder ( like me )

joe_padavano 07-17-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldred
Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Yeah. DON'T DO IT. As noted, these disks are NOT designed for side loads. To use them that way is evolution in action.

302 Z28 07-17-2011 11:59 AM

Use what is called a "flap disc" for that.

Vince

oldred 07-17-2011 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 302 Z28
Use what is called a "flap disc" for that.Vince

The flap disc, IMO the best thing to happen to grinding since the invention of electric grinders! :thumbup: I keep a bunch of those things on hand in different grits and every time I place an order at Enco I always add a few more.

4chuck 07-17-2011 02:10 PM

This is not intended to stray from the subject at hand. I have seen this used at other posts. What does "IMO" mean?

4Chuck

Joe G 07-17-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4chuck
This is not intended to stray from the subject at hand. I have seen this used at other posts. What does "IMO" mean?

4Chuck

It means "In My Opinion" sometimes you'll also see IMHO which is "In My Humble Opinion". :thumbup:

TommyK 07-17-2011 02:26 PM

IMO it means "In My Opinion". :)

matts37chev 07-17-2011 03:22 PM

i think there is a big difference in quality of disc - and it will make a big difference how much side load they can take.

i dont buy the cheapies and they seem to hold up pretty well
i only use the tip of the wheel when grinding on side edge ( not the middle creating a weak spot in the middle )

52fatness 07-17-2011 03:35 PM

cut off wheel

I have had the same experience and I left the half of the wheel yhay stuck in my shps wall insulation ther to remind me to use the right tool for the job! :nono:

NEW INTERIORS 07-17-2011 04:03 PM

They are called a ''CUT OFF WHEEL'' for a reason.. :mwink: NOT !!! A grinding wheel.. :nono: Remember when working with ''ANY'' POWER TOOL... you have to be smarter then the tool your using..... Do your grinding with what is made for grinding..... It's real easy to understand.. :drunk:

You play with a snake long enough,, And you just might get a snake bit.. :mwink:

ScojoDak 07-17-2011 11:09 PM

And wear a face shield!

http://www.labsafety.com/images/xl/E...i_V_174241.jpg

willowbilly3 07-18-2011 03:02 AM

I own at least 6 grinders so I never have to change discs. I use my cut off almost every day. I also keep a couple handy with grinding wheels and flap wheels and one with a wire brush that I hate and rarely use.

Irelands child 07-18-2011 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willowbilly3
I own at least 6 grinders so I never have to change discs. I use my cut off almost every day. I also keep a couple handy with grinding wheels and flap wheels and one with a wire brush that I hate and rarely use.

About what I have - one has a cut off wheel, another Rol-Locs, the bigger electric has a grinding wheel, the fourth flap and on up the scale.

I have had a couple of the 1/16 or 1/32 cut off wheels break up - man does that stuff fly - but so far no damage to self or part. I always wear goggles or face shield

If do I drop a grinder with one of those 1/16 or 1/32 wheels on it, that wheel is removed, broken in half and thrown away so it can never be retrieved and used again. I've found that just like a piece of buttered bread that if you drop it, it always lands to do the most damage.

Dave W