Cut-off saw - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2009, 05:48 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

quality?

My $59.95 H.F. chop saw DOSE have sealed bearings in it, not bushings.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Murphy
My $59.95 H.F. chop saw DOSE have sealed bearings in it, not bushings.
Go for it Carlos, just don't say we didn't tell you so.

Vince
Old 12-11-2009, 08:28 AM

Last photo:

which saw did you buy?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91938

or

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1624

I want to make sure I am making comparisons between the right saws
Old 12-11-2009, 12:38 PM

Which one?

I got the 2 hp model for $59.95, works fine.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:15 PM

Last photo:

ok, so I am assuming then you got the first one since it says 2hp. Here are the specs on it-

120 volt, 15 amp, 3500 RPM, 1" arbor, Cutting capacities: 4" round stock, 4-1/2" square stock; Overall dimensions: 25-1/2" L x 18-1/2" W x 10-3/4" H

here are the specs on the dewalt-

DEWALT's chop saws' powerful 15 amp, 4 hp motor has a 3,800 rpm free speed. They are capable of cutting round stock with up to a 4 1/2 in. diameter and rectangular stock up to 4 3/4 in. x 5 1/3 in.

Already there is a difference, the HF spins at 3500 RPM while the dewalt spins at 3800 RPM so it is not the same motor. HF says it is 2 hp and dewalt says it is 4 hp even though they both have a 15 amp motor. The more expensive chop saw has a 15 amp motor and claims 4 hp. The industral hf saw is a better comparison to the makita but suddenly the price difference is only $10 and they will still not be the exact same saw just painted differently. If you look close at the pictures you can see differences.

It is possible that they are all made at the same factory but that does not make them identical. The factory just puts them together, they don't make the parts.

You got a really good price on your saw, it usually sells for $40 more. I am sure I can find the makita saw for $40 less if I hit the right sale.

I have no idea about the quality of the saw you bought and I am not going to tell you that it is junk because I have no idea. I have not seen one in person and taken it apart. I would have a hard time passing up a $60 chop saw.

My only problem is you are trying to tell everyone that because the picture of the makita saw and dewalt saw kinda look like the harbor freight saw they must be the same. This is really what everyones problem, its not that your saw was a good deal or not, was made of quality parts or not, will hold up for years or not, its that you make this huge assumption without any facts. Had you bought a dewalt saw and taken it apart and compared parts and part numbers/manufactures to you hf saw, then I would believe you but you haven't.

Also keep in mind that the cost to reverse engineer something is much less than designing a saw from scratch.

I don't mean any harm by this, I am not trying to pick a fight.

-Luke
Old 12-11-2009, 01:40 PM

?

Over thinking this are we ???
Old 12-11-2009, 01:52 PM

Last photo:

not really
Old 12-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Last photo:

Great post snorulz, but I think your beating a dead horse on this one.

Vince
Old 12-11-2009, 02:18 PM

Last photo:

yeah, you are correct, no one had actually thrown out any numbers and I wanted to. The thread keeps coming back so I wanted to add my .02. Its not like I brought it back from the dead.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:30 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

15 amps won't carry 4hp over 120v, but also doubt the HF Saw really has 2hp.. HF saws are good, mine has worked well for the past 4 years I got it... but it isn't a name brand and I would NOT use it in a shop... there a few flaws. the vice is kinda chincy ( but works ), the angle plate tends to loosen and in some materials lacks power, tho it always completes the cut.. little things that wouldn't be a problem with a name brand saw... but I paid $50
Old 12-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
15 amps won't carry 4hp over 120v,
Your right Matt.

A 1hp single phase motor draws 16 amps full load current. A 1-1/2 hp single phase motor draws 20 amps full load current. I think both manufactures are fudging their figures a little.

Vince
Old 12-12-2009, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

Several decades ago manufactures rated electric motor in HP. It was just too basic for the average consumer and therefore it was necessary to find a way to express features in less useable terms.

Enter amp. ratings.

Look at a real motor data plate, like a Dayton motor. Lots of information including HP and amp. ratings and rpm. The consumer power tool market avoids as much comparative information as possible. Consumers who make critical comparisons in search of quality are confused and shouldn't be exposed to tedious details.

Look at the air compressors at Home Depot and Lowes. They're rated at some virtually useless HP number, one that rates it's HP when it's not actually compressing air. I've seen'em rated at 7.5 peak HP. Yet, when you look at the motor (usually Emerson = Ember-soon?) the HP line on the tag says SPL. SPL sounds like another word for Trust Me, which is the only Yiddish I know and it translates to fy. I've seen the same compressor that had the same size Emerson motor where the tag said 5 HP. They must have let one slip through to the compresser company.

Amperage rating is one measure of bearing inefficeincy. A failing bearing will increase amp. draw. Want a higher amp rating for your product? Put cheap bearings or bushings in it.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:44 PM
1955 2nd series Chevy Pick Up

Last journal entry: Body work and U bolts
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28
You are fooling yourself (or incredible naive) if you think that Makita saw at Summit is the same as the look alike at Harbor Freight.

Vince
I agree. I use cut off saw a lot. I can burn up a HF in a matter in minutes. Just try and cut two 1 5/8" unistuts at the same time 8 times in a row. I have the broke one here in the shop. My Makita is still going strong. For the occasional use the HF will probably hold up, but not when used at a professional.

But on another note I do have some HF stuff that is holding up well.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:39 PM

Last photo:

i bought a milwaukee about 6 years ago, and it looks alot like others on the market....same base, vise, etc... i'm sure some of the parts are universal. its no surprise, and many other industries use the same "outer" casings but there own internals. that said, milwaukee aint what it used to be either. i think alot of their stuff is from china as well. at least my cordless drill is.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:47 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

what is your purpose for wanting a chop saw? they're realy only good for cutting straight stock. if money is a consideration just buy the cheap harbor freight 4 1/2" angle grinder, tear off the guard and put a 6" cuttoff wheel on it. this setup is much more versatile. i buy 2 at a time, keep a cut off disc in one and a grinding or flapper wheel on the other.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.