Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   Cut-off saw (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/cut-off-saw-169642.html)

Carlos Murphy 12-08-2009 02:27 AM

Cut-off saw

I just bought a 14" cut-off from Harbor Freight, works great.

Just got a Summit catalog in the mail with the same saw on the cover the only difference is the mine is orange and Summit's is blue and says MAKITA on it (same saws)

The H.F. saw was $59.95 and the Summit saw is $159.95.

I'm not raggin on Summit but that's a hundred bucks I can spend on hot rod parts.

BTW, on the same page in the Summit catalog is a DeWALT saw and ITS the same as well only yellow and $199.95, yer pay'n fer da names...

snorulz 12-08-2009 09:07 AM

They may look the same on the outside but it is what is inside that matters. I would bet money it is NOT the same motor and bearings and other internal parts. You are correct, you will pay some for the name but I am sure they are not the same saw.

pepi 12-08-2009 09:29 AM

I hate ugly tools that look like they came out of some kindergartners toy box. A disgusting color and harbor freight is king here, will turn me away from a tool. Those handles that are showing up, you know the ones designed for a 5 year old, so little Johnny has big handles to hold .. funny how the designers never seem to make the tools work in tighter spaces ..... oh sure you are getting bigger handles , I am guessing the big children handles cost more and therefore the price increase ..o

Old Rotor Flap 12-08-2009 09:56 AM

I agree with my colleagues here that the Harbor Fright saw is not the same as the higher priced items. However, Makita for one, may have "special" products for the big box stores like Home Depot and Lowes.

If you look at the UPC codes and model numbers for the sale items to those of similar tools from the same manufacturer, the numbers may be different. The most common difference is amp rating. There may be other differences, but these differences aren't gong to be listed on the carton.

Good luck with HF electric motors.

302 Z28 12-08-2009 11:22 AM

You are fooling yourself (or incredible naive) if you think that Makita saw at Summit is the same as the look alike at Harbor Freight. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Vince

Carlos Murphy 12-08-2009 02:17 PM

Saw

All three, H.F.Chicago Electric (? warr), Makita (1 year warr) and DeWALT (3 year warr) have 15 amp motors claiming 3800 RPM, the same stamped steel table with 3 rubber legs and the same spark deflector, I'm sure they are all made by the same company.

001mustang 12-08-2009 03:06 PM

I've been disappointed more than once with the failure of expensive top of the line tools. Repair parts are expensive also.

Some of the HF tools are pretty good. The large presses, jacks, etc allowed me to equip my shop well. No way I could justify a brand name 2000lb transmission jack.

The China tool invasion has allowed me to put nice tool kits in every vehicle and garage.

Don't underestimate reverse engineering capabilities of China.

poncho62 12-08-2009 03:12 PM

Not a chop saw, but I bought a cheapo mitre saw (for wood)...$119....Was great for a year, then the switch burnt up....I mean it burnt, as in on fire......It was obvious that it was rated way under the current going through it. I replaced it with a heavier switch I had......Works good, but the safety lever and all that is gone now. It went in the fire.

Kevin45 12-08-2009 04:52 PM

I use a Dewalt at work on a daily basis and I show that thing no mercy. It has held up great for the last 5 years of abuse. It it usually used on 1 1/4" tool steel solid bar but I have also used it on 2" solid tool steel. Cutting guide pins on dies, it will blow right through them.

Carlos Murphy 12-08-2009 05:34 PM

Blade?

Don't forget, the blade/wheel you use has much to do with performance as well.

302 Z28 12-08-2009 09:57 PM

The HF tool which is the Makita look a like, take a close look inside one and see the difference. Bushings instead of ball or roller bearings, sub standard switches as noted above just for starters. Don't let us discourage you from buying that HF saw and telling yourself it is the same thing as a Makita....go right ahead :rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

Vince

matt167 12-09-2009 04:52 AM

I'm in no way a fan of Makita. every thing I have used from them, is as good as Black and Decker products. same weight, feel and performance to me, and B&D is less than 1/2 the cost.. however, I would agree that the HF is a fake/ knockoff using the Makita design, China is very good at that. not saying it's a bad thing, HF does make some stuff that will last a decent amount of time, but name brand stuff will last longer.. my HF chopsaw is 5 years old and has survived a rain storm when I forgot to bring it inside 1 day ( started raining ) and I paid $50 for it

Given that, I would buy the HF saw over the Makita, not only because I don't like Makita, but because the cost diffrence isn't justified for a home shop..

001mustang 12-09-2009 10:23 AM

Sad but true.

I used to take pride in my high end tools.

Now life is easier.

I can abuse or loose my cheap China knock offs and I don't care.

dinger 12-09-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 001mustang

Don't underestimate reverse engineering capabilities of China.

That's it in a nutshell, power tools, spray guns, hand tools, "borrowed designs".

What started out as a freight damaged store has turned into the giant it is today.

Carlos Murphy 12-09-2009 02:10 PM

High end tools

Yes, I used 1/4 and 3/8 in. Snap-on and Mac air ratchets almost my whole career (33 years) until the cheapees came on the market.
I could buy 3 for the price it cost to get one high end ratchet repaired, they were never like new again and I oiled religiously.

I would buy 2 or 3 when they were on sale for $19.99 a the car parts stores, toss em in the bottom of my box and when one would wear out I would just drop it in the trash and break out a new one.