Hot Rod Forum banner

cut off wheels

9K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  crownver 
#1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with either of these products? Looking to get reasonably priced cutting wheels. Tired of paying top dollar (up to $3.75) each, and there aren't many suppliers around here that carry the 1/32 size that I like. The Keen wheels at 200 pieces is a bit much, but if they are OK it's a long time supply for 35 cents each. The others a little over a buck landed here, but it they're better quality that's still better than what I pay around here. Or does anyone know a better source?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280307804023&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120687424879&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

#2 ·
Not had any experience - but country of manufacture to me is important and from Ebay - shipping. I really dislike Chinese made products, especially at over 10,000 rpm. Neither of these say where made that I could see with a quick look. Then - shipping!! The first, Keen, is free for Canada, the second $13USD which seems way too much.

Dave W

#3 ·
We use thousands of cut off wheels at work.
We use the 4 1/2" in right angle grinders.
Pferd wheels last about 1/4 as long as Walter-Zip cut off wheels.
The initial cost of the Pferd is less but the true cost is far more based on consumption.
The only time we use a wheel other than Zip is when the vendors stock is depleted.
I guess you get what you pay for.

#4 ·
I have tried a variety of cut off wheels for the 4 1/2 grinder. So far the one that works by far the best for me are the cheap ones from HF. They break down a little faster then the more expensive ones but they cut better. Breaking down faster probably keeps them clean.

I have also gotten to where I prefer them over grinding wheels in general. They are lethal though!

It is however imperative to use mask and face protection. They create a lot of dust and debris.

#5 ·
I found that with the 1/32" wheels there is a lot less heat generated and they cut faster than the 1/16" wheels. Wear faster, but for thin metal I like them. The ones I liked the most were the Samona cheapies but I can't get them at the moment. I think I'll try the Keen wheels. Not the end of the world if they aren't the greatest.

The high shipping is kind of standard from the States to Canada. We always seem to get hosed on freight. If shipping is USPS at least you don't usually have to pay brokerage (UPS) which I think is $20-$30 minimum charge although that may have changed.

#8 ·
I get mine at the welding shop. The ones I there last a lot longer than the ones I got at Harbor Freight.
I have found that if you let the grinder spin faster, by not loading it as much, the wheels will last a lot longer. You may not be cutting as fast, but when you are changing the wheel, you are not cutting at all.

#9 ·
I had never used cutoff wheels. Always used a sawzall. Then my boss got me a Matabo with a 6-1/2 " wheel. Very hi speed. When you trigger it it actually jumps . Love it . Took some getting used to. Thin wheels. Wheels about a buck apiece. If you let the wheel do the cutting they last longer then forcing it. It has found its way to my garage when I retired. :welcome:

#10 ·
Cape Cod Bob said:
I had never used cutoff wheels. Always used a sawzall. Then my boss got me a Matabo with a 6-1/2 " wheel. Very hi speed. When you trigger it it actually jumps . Love it . Took some getting used to. Thin wheels. Wheels about a buck apiece. If you let the wheel do the cutting they last longer then forcing it. It has found its way to my garage when I retired. :welcome:
The Metabo is my perferred cutting system. The grinder is made for the cut off wheels but can also be used as a 4" grinder. The Metabo cut off wheels are top notch too, very durable and last a long time (if you're cutting sheet metal). Whatever grinder you chose to use, you absolutely need the correct nuts for the wheels. Metabo makes them to where if the wheel gets "hung up" in a piece that your cutting, the nuts allow slippage instead of a violent kickback. Many people have been seriously injured using cut off wheels. You have to be cautious of the position of the wheel and expect the unexpected. Just operate with care.

#11 ·
Irelands child said:
Not had any experience - but country of manufacture to me is important and from Ebay - shipping. I really dislike Chinese made products, especially at over 10,000 rpm. Neither of these say where made that I could see with a quick look. Then - shipping!! The first, Keen, is free for Canada, the second $13USD which seems way too much.

Dave W
I went to Keen's website and they export 3,600 tons of abrasives yearly. and they seem to be entirely canadian based tho I can't find an address. so there probably canadian made

#13 ·
band saw first

I use my milwaukee porta band as much as possible, and cutting fluid, or wax, the blades last a lot longer with lubrication , cutting wheel as the last resort. I guess I don't like sparks. Or some one else sending sparks my direction. We have a home made torchmate flame cutter for when the band saw won't fit and a plasma.

#16 ·
I buy them in bulk from a tool vendor at Charlotte Motor Speedway every spring. He sets up just across from our spaces and I buy a couple of hundred of mixed thickness. The key to me is the label that says 25,000 max rpm. If they don't have that, I will not touch at any price. They do say made in the USA and I get good wear out of them. The plasma cutter has reduced the need, but there are just some things that these small cut off wheels are the best for the job.

Trees

#18 ·
crownver said:
I checked at the Home Depot in our town, but they don't stock anything in the size I want. Thanks for that site but I don't see the 1/32" in 3" I'm looking for.
the 5'' or 6'' wheels in an angle grinder last about 20x longer than the 3'' wheels on a die grinder.
they rarely grab and break due to the way they fit in the angle grinder (vs die grinder)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.