Hot Rod Forum banner

cut outs/backpressure

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  vexzer 
#1 ·
This probably has been asked a 'few' times. Guess I'm gonna beat the dead horse too...
I have a 350sbc with an energizer cam (274 duration I believe). I have shorty headers with a 2.5" outlet. I would like to run cutouts but I do not want to ruin the engine. Will running cutout on the street harm the engine?

#4 ·
When we were kids, we used to go to the boneyard and get gasoline tank filler tubes and caps from old cars. We'd cut into the head pipes and install them, one on each side. The filler caps would twist on or off with 1/2 turn and would work great until the hot exhaust burned the rubber seal out of them. If you were really cool, you had a chrome filler cap showing right behind the front tire on each side. :thumbup:

#5 ·
techinspector1 said:
When we were kids, we used to go to the boneyard and get gasoline tank filler tubes and caps from old cars. We'd cut into the head pipes and install them, one on each side. The filler caps would twist on or off with 1/2 turn and would work great until the hot exhaust burned the rubber seal out of them. If you were really cool, you had a chrome filler cap showing right behind the front tire on each side. :thumbup:
That's cool but my cutout is even cheaper. Drill a 1 3/4" [or larger if pipe is larger] hole in the pipe where you would do a weld-on. Place a band clamp over the hole to close it. Slide it down the pipe to open it, it's "tuneable".

#8 ·
The summer of '60. Double date. '59 Studebaker Lark. 259 V8, 4-bbl, duals with cut-outs, 3-speed. Running up I-25 north of Dayton, about midnight, pipes just singin'. Didn't see the Ohio State Highway Patrolman coming up on me. He didn't like the note of the pipes quite as much as I did. Hauled the 4 of us into the headquarters and relieved me and the other 3 with me of a great deal of cash.

#9 ·
techinspector1 said:
Did that tech. I-10 between Sierra Vista turn off and Tuscon. Got into a top end contest with a buddy in his 71 Road runner. About 130 mph the caps along with the collar the caps twisted into, blew off the end of the tank necks I had welded into the header pipe right after it straightened out. The speedo passed 140 and buried about 10 more mph. Peddle stuck to the floor and I passed my buddy up like a grandma in a V-dub. Had to get the wife to reach over and pull the peddle back up. Had to stop in a welding shop and get the necks welded shut so I could continue my trip to SD for the week end. I'll never do that again! :sweat: :nono: Seen him the fallowing week back at the post and he said I didn't think a Javelin would go that fast.
I told him I didn't either. :mwink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.