Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cutting 1/8" aluminum with what tool?
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboard
I wish I had a band saw, however, anyone use a cut off wheel uisng a Dremel? I agree with the difficulty of holding the jig saw steady.

This is a dash insert and I'm only trimming the sides just a little for a better fit. Do you think going slow with the Dremel is still going to bind and mess up the aluminum?

BTW Thanks for all the help. I'm truly over my head on this one

Those little bitty Dremel cut off discs will disintegrate about as fast as you can install 'em. Even their little 1/2" sanding discs will disappear fast. Yeah, I know their commercials show them cutting a bolt, but it for sure it can't be anything but a soft #10 machine screw. I have a Dremel, but use it for very light work, including elongating a couple of holes today in the cowl of my AVATAR car so I could mount the hood bracket.

If you are only doing a small amount of trimming, you can use a disc or belt sander or even a disc with a $5.00 1/2" arbor adapter on a bench grinder or even a surplus motor bolted to your bench.(use your goggles, regardless)

Dave W