Cutting 1/8" aluminum with what tool? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2010, 05:26 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Don't try to use a cut-off disc on an angle grinder unless the disc is specifically for Aluminum, not sure there is even one out there. I tried it with my 4 1/2' grinder and one of those thin cut-off discs and the darn thing exploded on me! I guess I must be a slow learner because I tried it again and the same thing happened after cutting only a few inches, it wasn't cutting worth a darn anyway so I gave up and used a Milwaukee sawzall.

Anyone else have this happen? I meant to ask about this a couple of weeks ago when that happened but just never got around to it so when I saw this thread I thought I would mention it.
Actually I use the thin disk all the time for cutting aluminum but the disk I use are the Metabo brand. I also cut slow and if cutting steel or aluminum sheet, I first make a shallow cut on my line then go back over it until it's cut through.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
Which way to the swap meet??

when cutting aluminum with a jig saw spray wd40 on blade and it wont load up then. jig saw it from the back side so you don't have to worry about scratches
Old 01-26-2010, 03:40 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I use my little Crapsman band saw up through 1/4 inch and have even done some half inch. It cuts fairly slowly and you can follow a line pretty easily - which I, at least, cannot do with my jig saw even with a good metal blade. I don't even change blades with the band saw but I do a real good clean up of chips, especially the wheel coverings. As far as holes - a good bimetal hole saw, not the cheap ones, works nicely, though you should slow the speed.

A cut off wheel will bind and break for me (aluminum will heat and expand, then grab the wheel) - so don't I wont use except on the heavier stuff.

Dave W
Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 PM

Last journal entry: Well she is finally done!!!
Last photo:

[QUOTE=

A cut off wheel will bind and break for me (aluminum will heat and expand, then grab the wheel) - so don't I wont use except on the heavier stuff.

Dave W[/QUOTE]

I wish I had a band saw, however, anyone use a cut off wheel uisng a Dremel? I agree with the difficulty of holding the jig saw steady.

This is a dash insert and I'm only trimming the sides just a little for a better fit. Do you think going slow with the Dremel is still going to bind and mess up the aluminum?

BTW Thanks for all the help. I'm truly over my head on this one
Old 01-27-2010, 08:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboard
I wish I had a band saw, however, anyone use a cut off wheel uisng a Dremel? I agree with the difficulty of holding the jig saw steady.

This is a dash insert and I'm only trimming the sides just a little for a better fit. Do you think going slow with the Dremel is still going to bind and mess up the aluminum?

BTW Thanks for all the help. I'm truly over my head on this one

Those little bitty Dremel cut off discs will disintegrate about as fast as you can install 'em. Even their little 1/2" sanding discs will disappear fast. Yeah, I know their commercials show them cutting a bolt, but it for sure it can't be anything but a soft #10 machine screw. I have a Dremel, but use it for very light work, including elongating a couple of holes today in the cowl of my AVATAR car so I could mount the hood bracket.

If you are only doing a small amount of trimming, you can use a disc or belt sander or even a disc with a $5.00 1/2" arbor adapter on a bench grinder or even a surplus motor bolted to your bench.(use your goggles, regardless)

Dave W
Old 01-27-2010, 11:01 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:

If just trimming a file is the route, alum is soft as you know take advantage of that . use some tape, green,blue whatever to mask the area front and back, protect the finish . Mark the areas to be trimmed and have at it .. it will not take long

nix on the Jig saw, it will have that panel flopping around on your bench like a fish out of water .

Last edited by pepi; 01-27-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

nix on the Jig saw, it will have that panel flopping around on your bench like a fish out of water .[/QUOTE]

To avoid all that flopping find yourself a piece of that 2" thick hard foam insulation used in the building industry. 2' x 2' is a good size. You can just lay the piece of alum on the insulation and hold it lightly with your off jigsaw hand and easily cut to your scribe lines. The blade will be buried in the insulation and not even know its there. The material does not slide around either. Just make sure the blade doesn't protrude out the bottom of the foam, stack two pieces if required. This works great.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.