Cutting, Chopping, Stretching - how to..??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 06:33 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cutting, Chopping, Stretching - how to..???

Hey Gang...
I was curous if we got any folks here that could pass on their vast knowledge about chopping, stretching, etc...

I got 'big plans',... but don't want to get in over my head.
Not REALLY afraid to jump in and try ANYTHING. Got good common sense,... and decent skills.
Just don't want to get too far,.. and ruin my cab,.. and have to try and round up another one.

I got a '46 Studebaker M5 pickup
Here's what I was HOPING to do.
I DO PLAN on chopping the top 2 or 3 inches. I know that will require adding a strip at LEAST a couple inches wide to make up for moving the front post forward...
Also plan to add in a sunroof.

What I WANTED to do was see about adding about a 6" "stretch" threw the doors (making the cab longer) I figure since I'd have the roof cut into already,.. that part is just adding 6 extra inches.

WHAT ALL is involved with cutting the floor and doors into..?? Looks kinda complicated,.. but then again with the right knowledge,... most things can be overcome. Maybe I just need to get the right information.
Also would it be easier to swing the hinges around and make suicide doors on it... would the extra weight be better in the long run and have less chance to sag in the years to come??
Could some people that (I hope) have experience please post (or send me info) that can help me. Cab goes to the sandblaster tomorrow,.. and when I get it back in two weeks,.. cutting and chopping begins.

Finally,... I also plan to add 12 inches on back behind the door (kinda like an 'extended cab'). I think that will be the easiest of the projects. Lots of cutting and rewelding,.. but it's just cut loose, move, and reweld. Or is that an over simplification.

I'd be interested in hearing what all you folks have to say. Don't want to screw this up... Studebaker cabs are hard to come by... not to mention the 'down' time of looking for another one, added expense of buying another one,.. added expense of sandblasting it, etc... the cost just multiply.
Please chime in... any info is good info.
THANKS

Oh I meant to mention.. I DO have an extra set of doors.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.