Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - cutting compound black haze
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 05:45 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1460 View Post
Im having some slight hazing on my fresh black paint. How do I know when im done with my heavy cutting compound and ready to switch to finish cut?

As I went along I started in the rear passenger side and worked all the way around the back, as I got to the other side my wool pad was heavily "filled/soaked" with compound and there was a night and day difference from each side of the vehicle. The passenger side turned out pretty good with some slight hazing. I re buffed the driver side but still have some haze, Im using Wizards Turbo Cut and Finish cut for compounds. Any tips?? Im in constant fear of burning through so maybe im moving to fast???
First off all, I am going to assume that you used a single stage urethane, but if this isn't correct, please advise. When I have done this type of paint job in black, I wet sand to 1000 with a few drops of dish washing soap in the water.

I typically use a yellow foam pad with my cutting compound at a slow speed in lieu of the wool pad since it is much more controllable, especially if you don't do this type of work every day. Once I am satisfied the very fine scratch removal, I switch to the gray pad with the finishing glaze.

If you want to eliminate some of the sanding and stay with the wool pad, it is very important to keep it clean. I am not a professional at this, just have had a lot of experience with black single stage. I hope that this is helpful. I imagine that the pros will offer more info.

Good luck...