Hot Rod Forum banner

Cutting cowl hood supports

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  eric32 
#1 ·
I installed a double pumper on my 350 sbc and there is a clearance issue with the fuel line and the heater hose. I used a 1 inch spacer but now im very close to the center bracing on my cowl hood. The hood closes fine. The motor mounts are welded with no rubber so i was told the motor isnt going to move while running. The hood is steel and everyone is telling me to just cut out that center bracing to make room. How risky is this? I dont have a pic of the bracing right now as the truck is in the shop but its a sort of X bracing right in the center of the cowl .

#4 ·
I had the same problem with my 96 chevy s10 with a factory hood and I could not get my holley fuel line to clear my heater hose. I also use a one inch spacer 4 hole design to give me clearance. You have two options. One is plugging off that side and going over to the driver side front plug area if your not using it for a temperature gauge. Or you can do like I did and get a 1 inch drop base air cleaner and make sure it looks like the one I posted so it will clear the holley fuel bowls. I do this in order to still be able to go to the auto part store and get a standard 14x3 air filter.

14" Chrome Drop Recessed Air Cleaner Base | eBay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.