Cutting down Hyperuetectic pistons??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2005, 03:27 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cutting down Hyperuetectic pistons???

Hey everyone!

I don't post here mucah at all, but I read through here once and a while and am hoping some of ya'll might have some input for me...

I have a 3.8 liter Ford V6 with an eaton m90 supercharger in a 1990 Tbird SC.

A common modification in these motors, is to use 351W rods and custom forged pistons due to the rods being slightly longer than stock 3.8 rods. The rods are known to be the weakest point in the engine. The crank is factory forged, and stock pistons are hyperuetectic.

The custom forged pistons is where things get a little too expensive for me, along with all the other machine work and parts.

Over at the forum for the tbird SCs, it has been discussed, but not tried, to just cut down a set of stock replacement hyperuetectic pistons by .0425 to get the correct compression height.

The stock replacement is a Sealed Power hyper with coated side skirt and T5 heat treat.

I was talking to the guy at Huntsville Engine here in Alabama, and told him about the situation with the 351 rods, and hyper pistons, and he said he could cut it down. He said it in such a manner that made it seem like he did it all the time?

What are your thoughts on cutting on a hyper piston? I would be concerned about removing the heat treating, and of course weakening the structure. I am not very familiar with heat treating process, especially that of hyperuetectic pistons... Would it be possible to re-heat treat these?

Just curious what you gys think about such an idea.

Thank you!

Advertisement

Last edited by sizemoremk; 03-19-2005 at 05:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2005, 05:19 AM

Last photo:

The heat treat (T5) goes all the way through the material, you can cut on it without worry of losing the heat treat.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:37 AM

Last photo:

Oh, well that is good.

I thought heat treating was only at the surface, but I know nothing of metalurgy, probably didnt even spell it right
Old 03-19-2005, 06:47 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Before you have the pistons cut, you`ll have to know how close it`ll be placing the compression ring to the top of the cylinder, high ring packages are a good idea, but if the ring is too close to the top it`ll have heat problems.
As the ring moves up, the more gap will be needed by the ring to keep them from butting together from the higher heat in the top of the cylinder, this is why KB pistons require the rings be gapped. Also if the ring land is too close to the top, it can cause it to melt the edge of the piston due to the material being too thin in that given area. If I recall correctly the top ring needs to be at least .150 down from the top of the piston, and this will require the rings be gapped accordingly.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:04 AM
wind & fire = guides to power

Last photo:

what about the crank? i was told they were factory turned and neededn to be replaced with each rebuild? is that true or an urban legend?
Old 03-19-2005, 08:39 AM

Last photo:

decking the pistons

Decking your pistons .045" should present no problem at all. I would also ask the fellow if he will recut the valve reliefs a corresponding amount as well.
One thing to consider, by the time you have all this machine work done, you might have been about as well of to have contacted someone like Keith Black and see if they make a hypereutectic piston to fit your needs.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I would be concerned with removing 0.045" from the top of a factory piston. Check the thickness of the piston face to see what you will end up having there (check the eyebrow reliefs as they will likely be thinnest part), hypereutectic pistons are cast not forged so they aren't as strong as a forged piston. That is a lot of material to remove from the face of what has to be one of the most stressed parts especially on a supercharged engine.

I wouldn't do it to my engine unless they were forged pistons and I liked to gamble.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

.045 cut should be no problem with these pistons. As posted before, you will have to open up the ring gaps a bit. Use the Keith Black specs.

In the past. I have cut down stock type 400 Chevy pistons for 5.7 rods. This leaves the rings quite high on the finished piston. I just set the rings at max gap and never had a problem. My ex had one of these motors in her 78 Chevy stepside for many years.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the responses!

The reason I am considerign this, is that the guy at the amchine shop said they would cut a set down for $100, I guess its that low because I have a prety long list of other stuff he is dong....

I will have to get the measurements off of the stock repacement hyperuetectic piston, and see where the top ring and top of piston, the figure I seen somewhere else said .180 I think....

These are dished pistons, and have no valve reliefs.

thanks!
Old 03-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Don't forget to take into account half the distance you turned the crank will not need to be removed from the piston top. If the crank need turned at all.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

cuting stock pistons

have a 302 ford in my 32, it has 289 rods and pistons cut so they come right to the top, also cut the valv releafs, i run the crap out of it .for about 5 summers no problems, uses no oil and have had it up to 250 dgrs??? forgot to turn the elc fan on, must run mid grad gas would tack a little more of now that fuelis so expensive. cliff

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.