Cutting a front coil spring - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2003, 04:19 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Cutting a front coil spring

I'm curious to know what would happen if I cut 1 coil off of my front springs? I was having a fiasco with my mustang II front end, and looks like the problem is not solved yet!!!! I'm building a street beasts kit,a nd first off, they sent me the wrong shocks. And now, come to find out, they sent me the wrong springs too. Witht he coils installed, the bow outward and look as though they are about to pop out of the car. I've looked at other setups, and they don't look nearly as stressed out as mine. Yes, they are in the seats both upper and lower. And yes, all bolts on the arms are in the right holes.
I've seen otehr stock mustang II front coils have a free length of 11" height. Mine at 14" high. What's the deal with that? These things just aren't fitting and that's that. So, if I cut a coil off, how would that affect the rate? I have no idea what they are now, they are supposed to be 1976 Mustang II V6 coil springs. Any help would be appreciated. The springs I'm looking at are from Speedway Motors. If I cut mine down to that height, what would that do to the rate, say if if it was 450? Thanks again.
Dave

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2003, 05:16 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

[quote]...they sent me the wrong springs...<hr></blockquote>

I would get on the horn with them regarding the application. Once you cut the springs, they are yours.

You can cut the coils to get the desired trim height, but you will also increase the spring rate somewhat.
Old 03-15-2003, 06:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

If you want to know the rate change we need the diameter of the wire used and the wire centerline diameter of the coil and the number of active coils, here's the formula;

Spring rate (pds/inch)=1 500 000 X (d X d X d X d) / n X (D X D X D)

Where;

n=number of active coils

D=Coil Diameter

d=wire diameter

All dimensions in inches
Old 03-15-2003, 07:59 AM

I cut 1 full coil off and they are now fitting. I'm having a problem with the shock, having to pry the suspension up to get the shock to bolt through the upper spring perch. That's the way it's supposed to work. The lower arm looks to be the same degree from the ground as other setups I have seen in this guys shop, and the spring now does not appear to be bowing.
I ordered chrome coils from Speedway motors at 450# rate. I'll do one side witht he cut coil, athe other with the new shorter coil and see how they sit different. Obviously, I'll replace whatever coil isn't the right one, but it will be interesting to see the difference. I just don't know why the stock coils don't work? It seems really odd.
Dave
Old 03-15-2003, 01:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Unhappy

I feel your pain, however I can tell you exactly where your problem is. You said it yourself, youíre building a StreetBeast kit.

It really pains me how they pass their stuff off to the unsuspecting public as some sort of high quality easy to assemble almost drive it away street rod kit when in reality itís quite the opposite. I'm also afraid most here who are experienced with quality Mustang II kits like Heidts or some of the others are not familiar with the design StreetBeast uses, even though StreetBeast likes to call it a Mustang front end.

My suggestion to you is to call StreetBeast and get them to send you the correct parts. Chances are you'll wait months to get them but that is probably your best course of action.

If you do a search in the archives for StreetBeast you'll find a long discussion of their unscrupulous marketing practices and their history of defrauding the public. It would appear they haven't changed much.

I truly wish you luck and hope you can get help from them. If you canít get them to help you, please at least file a Better Business Bureau complaint. Maybe it will help some other unsuspecting novice from making a serious mistake.

Centerline
<a href="http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com" target="_blank">http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com</a>

[ March 15, 2003: Message edited by: Centerline ]</p>
Old 03-16-2003, 04:15 PM

I also had the exact same problem with a Fat Man Mustang II front end stub kit which costs over $2000.00. I had a really hard time getting it in place and when I finally did it bowed really bad and was so stiff it would'nt even travel. I did'nt want to wait for another so I cut one coil which was the maximun you could cut according to the instructions. All went well and I've driven up and down the road and it seems fine. Let me know what you decide. I'm just curious. Good luck

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.