Hot Rod Forum banner

Cutting Leather Hides?

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Coodeville 
#1 ·
This is my first leather hide. Some parts look nicer than others although the whole thing in general is nice. My question is this : Upon eyeing up my panels, I'm thinking that I'll have to look for the better looking areas that will be noticeable to the eye ?

#2 ·
That's right. The pieces that show come out of the middle of the hide, and the parts that aren't as prominent or don't show are cut progressively toward the outside edges of the hide.

Make sure you check the leather for blemishes very closely before you lay out your pieces. It's usually easy to avoid bad areas, but you really have to watch what you're doing and plan ahead.

#3 ·
DanTwoLakes said:
That's right. The pieces that show come out of the middle of the hide, and the parts that aren't as prominent or don't show are cut progressively toward the outside edges of the hide.

Make sure you check the leather for blemishes very closely before you lay out your pieces. It's usually easy to avoid bad areas, but you really have to watch what you're doing and plan ahead.
I noticed that the closer you get the the leg, the worse it looks. Before I even put a blade to this stuff, I'm going to lay it out in a very well lit room and really look at it well.

#4 ·
Do yourself a favor, save your fingers and cut the parts out with a scissors. Cutting leather (other than leather shoulders, strap, and skirting which are very thick and stiff) with a blade is slower, less accurate and dangerous.

#5 ·
DanTwoLakes said:
Do yourself a favor, save your fingers and cut the parts out with a scissors. Cutting leather (other than leather shoulders, strap, and skirting which are very thick and stiff) with a blade is slower, less accurate and dangerous.

I know. I was just using the term "blade" as a generic reference. I have a great pair of scissors that I use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.