cutting windshield - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 07:46 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Well I got the glass cut without breaking it, but as you can guess its a long way from fitting correctly. Nothing a little metal work won't fix. That's why you cut the glass first. LOL! Brian its ok to say I told you so. You live and learn from your mistakes. If you don't try you don't learn anything. This is why I wanted to fit the glass before I finished all the metal work, so I could adjust if needed.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,365 Times in 1,109 Posts
Wow. Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Congratulations. Anyone who cuts their fist curved windshield on the first try has something to brag about.

John L
Old 04-22-2012, 09:03 PM

It was really easy with a siphon sandblaster cutting the outside first. You just go slow . I made about 3 passes then went down to the plastic. Flipped around and did the same thing on the inside. Then got the old beltsander and smoothed the edges. Took about 4 hours, but I did it myself and didn't have to pay someone else to do it. Not that I'm opposed to paying,but it does feel good to do it yourself.

Al
Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 PM

Well I got the glass cut without breaking it, but as you can guess its a long way from fitting correctly. Nothing a little metal work won't fix. That's why you cut the glass first. LOL! Brian its ok to say I told you so. You live and learn from your mistakes. If you don't try you don't learn anything. This is why I wanted to fit the glass before I finished all the metal work, so I could adjust if needed.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,051 Posts
WAIT A MINUTE HERE! You cut the friggin glass without breaking it?? Forget me saying I told you so! You TOLD ME SO with the glass, you cut the friggin glass without breaking it? Photos, videos, show me the good stuff!

Brian
Old 04-24-2012, 07:02 PM

Well here you go. tell me what you think.

Al
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camera shots 509.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	64949   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera shots 508.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	64950   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera shots 492.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	822.9 KB
ID:	64951   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera shots 521.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	905.0 KB
ID:	64952   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera shots 522.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	64953  

Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 PM

Last photo:

The pattern I made showed how the lower corners needed to be cut to lean the glass back. You can see by yours, that is exactly what needs to happen.

When this happened I need to add material to the lower corners right at the base of the A pillar because as it leaned back that bottom corner pulled away from the A pillar. But it went pretty smooth up at the top I don't remember much mods other than a little at each upper corner. The bottom is were most of the work went.

I am blown away that you pulled off cutting that glass. What kind of sand blaster?

Brian
Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 AM

Brian, it's just a cheapo craftsman siphon type loaded with black beauty. I believe I will try to cut the bottom corners first before any metal work begins. I'm just concerned cutting there will cause the glass to shrink from side to side, becoming narrower and causing more problems if you know what I mean. On a side note ,I'm concidering purchasing a shrinking disc any info you have on these would help. Are there any tutorials on is useage.

Thanks Al
Old 04-25-2012, 08:12 AM

Last photo:

Yes, that is exactly what happens and that is why you will need to modify the hole! That is the beach with the glass, you can't change it's shape like metal! It is very unforgiving. I wish I took photos like I do now back when I did it!

I do remember having to narrow the hole a little, when it was all done it worked out pretty good, you could hardly tell. I do remember looking at other trucks after I did that one and seeing once you look up close that they had done the same thing.

Brian
Old 04-25-2012, 08:37 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

shrinking disc

I saw one demo-ed at a car show several years ago. A guy watching ask if he could try it and was not sucessful so I kept my wallet in the pocket. A friend chopped his 49 merc and had one so I took another look. The principle is similar to using a torch. With a torch you heat a spot. it swells up, you use a hammer and dolly to flatten down the hump. The metal shrinks and pulls down the surrounding metal. A shrinking disc is the last step after you have used a hammer , dolly other tools to get the metal as close as possible. You need to have the paint removed. The spinning disc heats up the high spot, it tries to hump up more , you apply pressure to force the hump down then lightly raise the disc to allow the spinning disc to circulate air and cool it. There has been quite a bit of discussion on making and using a disc on the metal working sites such as metalmeet, metal shapers, allmetal and others. I used a stainless steel plumbing clean out cover on my 4 1/2 grinder, it worked but the larger ones sold for a large grinder will be faster.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:57 AM

Last photo:

I have to assume you posted this to the wrong thread, we are talking about glass here. The shrinking disc is an amazing tool, I don't know anything about the way you describe it's use. From what I was taught is you run the disc over the panel it hits only the high spots kinda like a "Heat block" and then you cool it with air just as you would shrinking with a torch or any other heat creating tool.

I have done little with mine, but what I have it worked out very well.

Brian
Old 04-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

this is a good un ! ive got a windshield to cut for a 63 nova. i mite feel better bout tryin it myself now !i have a cracked one to practice on.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 AM

Brian, it's just a cheapo craftsman siphon type loaded with black beauty. I believe I will try to cut the bottom corners first before any metal work begins. I'm just concerned cutting there will cause the glass to shrink from side to side, becoming narrower and causing more problems if you know what I mean. On a side note ,I'm concidering purchasing a shrinking disc any info you have on these would help. Are there any tutorials on is useage.

Thanks Al
Old 04-30-2012, 05:15 PM

well i've got the glass fitted to the hole. It took cutting the glass a few more times. Like around the bottom corners and alittle at the top corners. Tim your tip with the gasket saved me from making some big mistakes. I was fitting to the wrong area of the hole. Now comes finishing the metal work. I have tacked the frame back together now fill in all the gaps, have the passenger side looking pretty good. will get pics soon.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbarn

Thanks Al
Wray has just what you are wanting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMBO-Shrink...item19cf5fbaed
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Fool For This Useful Post:
hotrodbarn (07-03-2013)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.