cutting windshield - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 01:13 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

cutting windshield

I know this subject has been beaten to inches of its life, but my question is what side of the glass do I lay my pattern on to mark my cut lines? Should I mark on the inside or outside? I'm cutting a 55 Chevy truck. My plan is to use the sandblast method. I did the chop following an article from Custom Classic Trucks mag. Chop looks pretty good for a beginner will try to post pics. Thanks for help in advance. Al

Last edited by hotrodbarn; 04-18-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 02:32 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

glass cutting

there was windshield cutting info and a link to a U tube last fall, an all day process, lots of good tips how to wet cut and putting in stress reliefs as you cut.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:45 PM

Thanks TIM, but I need to know which side of the glass do I lay my pattern on. If on outside or inside? I don't know if it makes any difference,but would seem to. I've tried marking it both ways and the lines are not the same. I used cardboard from a large bulletin board box to make the pattern.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Yeow, be ready with a few windshields on this one! Cutting a large curved glass windshield like that is a TALL request. And when you chopped it, did you make a template of the glass and modify the roof to fit it? Because that is exactly where you are going to be going once you get that glass cut and you will be WAY ahead if you do that now before you cut the glass.

When you lower the roof you are changing the SHAPE of the hole it sits in, not just the size of the hole. And just cutting the glass, it will NOT fit in that hole. And trying to make it fit you will only break glass.

take a windshield and make a pattern from it. I personally made one of fiberglass on the inside of the windshield. I simply laid up fiberglass mat on the inside of a stock windshield. I laid it about a quarter inch thick, then ran a cardboard tube across on the inside from one side of the glass to the other, fiberglassing that in so support the piece.

I then ground the edge of the fiberglass to fit perfectly and THEN cut that down to size. The edge was then thinned so it was as thick as the rubber is between the glass and the metal. So effectively I made a piece that would perfectly go against the metal where the glass sits instead of an actual copy of the glass. That would have required more work in that you would need to make a make another piece using the piece I made as a mould.

Once this piece was made and cut down to match the height of the roof opening I then used IT to modify the roof at the corners of the glass to fit this pattern. Then using that pattern cut the glass.

But that is where you are going to need to be going now before you cut that glass.

Brian
Old 04-18-2012, 04:07 PM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I have not personally done this, but I have heard from others that it does work (your mileage may vary)-

http://youtu.be/pl5nm48pYFc
Old 04-18-2012, 04:55 PM

Last photo:

Let me correct or clarify something I said. The hole the glass sits in doesn't only change shape, the glass does. When the glass is cut the curvature of the edge is going to be different than where the edge was before being cut.

Which is why the glass needs to be cut and then you modify the roof to fit it.

Brian
Old 04-18-2012, 06:02 PM

So do I put the pattern on the inside of the glass or outside?
Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodbarn
So do I put the pattern on the inside of the glass or outside?
On the inside if you build something like I did. It depends on how you made the pattern! If you made an exact copy of the windshield, mounted it right in the rubber and it fits in your cab, I honestly have no idea mounting it inside or out. It would make a bit of a difference, I would say you have nothing being it really can't be transferred to the glass properly. That is why I made my pattern as the rubber between the glass and the metal. Then I simply laid it on the inside of the glass and it was perfect.

How did you make the pattern?

Brian
Old 04-18-2012, 06:18 PM

Last photo:

Id say pattern is inside as thats the plane you made the template from...not 1/4 " above the metal ...which is where the outside of the glass is...
Old 04-18-2012, 06:27 PM

Last photo:

It depends on how the pattern was made. Where was it put when made? If it was laid on the pinch weld yes, on the inside. We are assuming this is how it was made though. Being someone could have all kinds of different ideas it's hard to say. I just want to clarify to be sure.

How was the pattern made?

Brian
Old 04-18-2012, 06:32 PM

I dampened the card board to help take the rigidity out of it after I roughed the piece in the opening. But now I see that when it dried it shrank. Any way after I damped it I laid it inside of the windshield out in the sun for a few minutes. As it started to dry it took a set and held the shape for a few hours and it gave me a good chance to trail fit . It sat in the hole quite nicely, after a little trimming . Then I laid the pattern back on the glass to mark it from the inside. Then laid it on the outside and the lines didn't line up. So now I'm not sure what to do.

Al
Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 PM

Last photo:

Al, I would be pretty leery of doing what you are planning. That isn't a very good template at all. However, it may be close enough as you are going to need modify the opening in the cab anyway.

How did it "sit nicely" in the hole? The glass sits in a VERY tight area. The rubber going around the glass and the metal, that little bit the rubber can move is IT, that is all the leeway you have.

Think about this, that cardboard will bend to fit the hole, even if you aren't trying it bends. The glass will not bend one friggin mm, NOTHING (realistically).

Did you split the roof or did you lay the post over?

Brian
Old 04-18-2012, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

I just looked up the article you used.

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t.../photo_02.html

You widened the roof, that's good. I did the same thing and the glass shape did not match the hole anymore once cut. Think about this, the glass is going to need to be laid back, so the bottom corners will need to be trimmed. When you trim it, it narrows, so the corners of the hole need to be modified at the very least.

Brian
Old 04-18-2012, 07:57 PM

pete hagen u tube

The Utube 35 window linked was the one I saw here last fall, He stressed the importance of making stress relief slits as he cut. our project trucks we talk about chopping have flat glass, There used to be a chopped 56 ford pickup a bodyshop owner did in san jose, they cut the windshield into 3 pieces, siliconed the joint and it just didn't look right.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:01 PM

need a super oven.

When ford repainted after assembly they used to put insulating covers over windshields, grilles and tailites on Mustangs, if one fell off, the glass would sag and have to be replaced.
The Following User Says Thank You to timothale For This Useful Post:
hotrodbarn (07-03-2013)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.