Hot Rod Forum banner

CV axle boots

790 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mitmaks 
#1 ·
I need to replace a cv axle boot on my mom's car. Ive seen ones before that are split in middle. Are you supposed to glue those together with something or how do they work?

#4 ·
mitmaks said:
which ones should I go with? It would be easier to install glue-on ones but if theyre not perfectly glued they would leak grease.
Only use a screw- or glue-together "split" boot if you are not removing the shaft. They should be considered a temporary fix- they do not last anywhere near as long as a 1-piece boot.

If the boot's been damaged long at all, all the grease will have been thrown out, dirt will have gotten in- and the joint is (or soon will be) history. Check to see if the grease feels gritty. If it does, replace the joint or shaft. If the shaft makes any noise (clicking on turns, clunking, etc.- removing and replacing it now would be the best bet, IMO.

If the boot just got damaged and wasn't driven any distance, a one-piece replacement boot is always better than any of the stop-gap split boots. But better still is to just replace the shaft and be done w/it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.