cv axle boots replace or buy new axle? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2004, 10:43 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

cv axle boots replace or buy new axle?

Hello, I have a 85 nissan sentra that has 140, 000 on it. I noticed that the axle boots have a crack all the way around them. They are not leaking grease yet, but I would like to know the pros and cons of replacing the boots or just buying the reman axle. I think axles are $65 an axle. Thats more than 2 boots at 10 bucks each. I just hate to put this thing back together not done right, but not looking forward to spending 130 for new axles either. I was told that the outer joints do not come off, and I would have to remove the inner joint to get the outer boot off. Are these things a royal pain to do. I really dont have a parts washer to clean them out properly, so I guess it would be boat loads of carb or parts cleaner cans to clean these joints. As far as I know there is no easy way to clean these either.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2004, 11:37 AM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

No man, you can get boots that are split in half. they use small bolts to clamp the boot together.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:26 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Believe me...

Replacement shafts at 65.00 a piece is a bargain. It saves breaking the CV joint down, cleaning...inspection, reassembling and putting the boot on.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I agree with KULTULZ.

I've changed tons of cv joints way back before the reman units came out. If you know how to do it, changing boots is not hard,,,,,,,BUT, with that many miles, and the fact that the boots are already opened up, i'd change both shafts and call it good. Once some dirt or dust gets into the joints, they wear real fast. You can save some bucks and re-boot them, but it may be just a temporary fix.

Mark
Old 03-03-2004, 02:45 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

fixing crap twice sucks.

do it right the first time. time and money ahead if you ask me.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:38 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If I could get those axles for that price, I wouldn't even think of trying to fix the original ones.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

Uh guys, you can get repair boots that are split. you don't have to
take the axals off the car to install them either.
they just wrap around were the old ones are.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:24 PM
Last photo:

If the boots are split, the CV joints are contaminated and will shortly be toast IMO. I would replace the shafts, especially at $65 a piece.

Vince
Old 03-04-2004, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

Wait

Sounds like you pay attention to your car. Lots of people dont. I would continue to drive it for awhile. Pay attention to sounds and feel. You should be able to get through a couple of months as is. Take the time to collect the money and do the complete job. Depending on how hard you drive and how many miles, you might even get six months to spread it over. UPSIDE you get time to get money. DOWNSIDE - none.

hr41pearl
Old 03-04-2004, 05:22 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by FASTCHEVY
Uh guys, you can get repair boots that are split. you don't have to
take the axals off the car to install them either.
they just wrap around were the old ones are.
I have yet to meat one self-respecting mechanic who works in the field that would use these boots. They do not seal the joint properly and are for the DIY welfare collecting heroin addict who needs to fix his dilapidated 1978 Datsun 510 so he can get his next fix.

Now about the question. There are many of us in the field who would rather rebuild the original shafts correctly than use reman shafts. This is mostly due to the fact that unfortunately the quality of many of these reman shafts is less than terrific. Considering though that you are doing the job yourself, do not have a parts cleaning tank and all the tools that a full-time mechanic would have, and are not experienced with disassembling these shafts, I would have to agree with KULTULZ and others and say use reman shafts. The one redeeming quality they have is that usually they come with a good warranty, sometimes lifetime warranty. Easier on your part and if they fail you can pull them out yourself and get them replaced under warranty.

Last edited by dmorris1200; 03-04-2004 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by dmorris1200
I have yet to meat one self-respecting mechanic who works in the field that would use these boots. They do not seal the joint properly and are for the DIY welfare collecting heroin addict who needs to fix his dilapidated 1978 Datsun 510 so he can get his next fix.

Now about the question. There are many of us in the field who would rather rebuild the original shafts correctly than use reman shafts. This is mostly due to the fact that unfortunately the quality of many of these reman shafts is less than terrific. Considering though that you are doing the job yourself, do not have a parts cleaning tank and all the tools that a full-time mechanic would have, and are not experienced with disassembling these shafts, I would have to agree with KULTULZ and others and say use reman shafts. The one redeeming quality they have is that usually they come with a good warranty, sometimes lifetime warranty. Easier on your part and if they fail you can pull them out yourself and get them replaced under warranty

Hey it's a cheap fix, not that I would use them.

And the other dude is right, you can drive a long time with bad boots. And even if they have split the grit can be cleaned out.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:44 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by FASTCHEVY
Hey it's a cheap fix, not that I would use them.

And the other dude is right, you can drive a long time with bad boots. And even if they have split the grit can be cleaned out.
2 points...

1. Most of us that have been around for a while try to never recommend a 'fix' that we would not do or have not done ourselves.

2. Most people drive around for months before realizing their CV boots are ripped. The most common sign that the CV joints themselves are in serious condition is a repeated clicking sound on sharp left or right turns. When this happens it is definately time to fix them or risk complete joint failure.

Old 03-04-2004, 06:53 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I have seen numerous times that people have tried the split boots. I have not seen anyone that has been successfull with them. The boots need to be glued closed. That is extremely difficult when it is full of grease, as glue usually don't work in grease. Simply replacing the boot does not correct the problem, as there is now grease missing and most likely dirt in the joint. The best bet is to go ahead and replace the axle if you can get it at that price.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by adtkart
I have seen numerous times that people have tried the split boots. I have not seen anyone that has been successfull with them. The boots need to be glued closed. That is extremely difficult when it is full of grease, as glue usually don't work in grease. Simply replacing the boot does not correct the problem, as there is now grease missing and most likely dirt in the joint. The best bet is to go ahead and replace the axle if you can get it at that price.

I've never used them, but the guy wanted a quick fix so...
And it's either that or replacing the axal, the boots are way too hard to replace.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:43 AM

Last photo:

ISSUE

The real issue is not if the boot will seal or not. The real issue is the fact that once broken open the area becomes contaminated with road debris. The best fix is a removal / clean / reassemble. Some of us work our ...... off and can not afford THE PROPER WAY. So we look for ideas / advice to get us through. Replacing the boots will slow down the contamination but is not the END ALL answer. And the reason I am broke is not the amount of drugs I am taking or how small my welfare check is.

hr41pearl

OH, the real reason I am broke is this hot rod I am working on.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.