Hot Rod Forum banner

cv shaft rubbing crossmember

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ISAAC-RAY 
#1 ·
i was told that my cv shaft is rubbing te crossmember on the rightside. before going out and taking the chance of getting ripped off i thought ide come ask you folks(as i usually do)a few questions. is this a major repair, or is it something i can take care of at home, with the aid of a cilton book. im no expert mechanic but i do have some mecanical skills. if you recommend i take it to a shop, what and what does this job intail. price wise, parts needed labor. its a 91 dodge dynasty 3.3 litre v6. i just want to go there knowledgabe so im not taken advantage of. once again, in advance thanks for your time and advice

ike

#2 · (Edited)
91 dodge dynasty 3.3 litre v6
I would first suspect engine/transmission mounts (or possibly cradle mounts) as the combination rides in a engine/suspension cradle . The engine may not be sitting level or weak mounts allow the engine to raise on acceleration and the shaft rubs something.

Possibly a bent/damaged strut (bad travel stops) would allow the strut to compress too far. Also check for bad control arm bushings/strut arm bushings that will allow the steering knucle to move forward/aft on acceleration/deacceleration.

Just make sure that it is not just simply rubbing on a plastic splash shield leaving a mark.

Hmm...Thinking again... :rolleyes: ...Chrysler didn't use cradles, but it would still be a mount issue I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.