CVT Opinions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2013, 10:32 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

CVT Opinions

My wife wants a new car. I have researched some new models that she wants and a couple are only availible with CVT (Continuous Varible Transmission), like the Subaru Outback. *She won't have a manual trans for a daily driver. We have owned a Subaru Outback but that was ten years ago and it had a regular automatic. So I did a little research on CVT's, WOW, I will not own a CVT. The sales people spout mileage and driveability figures, But how many have ever rebuilt a transmission, yea, we know the answer to that. Me being a hotrodder, I have rebuilt many transmissions (glides, t350,t400, torqueflite 727, C-6 etc). But a CVT is really different, I have had snowmobiles and they are nothing more than a really complicated, electronicly controlled snowmobile power transfer design. When they fail, (and they do) it's not rebuild, but replace. This means $$$$. Not for me! Opinions?.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 10:56 AM
life is a ride

Last journal entry: 2014
Last photo:

Chevy VOLT.
At least drive one before you roll your eyes.
Be ready for the dealer to know nothing. As usual.

vicrod
Old 03-30-2013, 02:24 PM

back in the 80s when subaru brought out CVTs they were also annoying to drive.Audi has made then a lot nicer and 30 years of advance has also made them better.Let the wife drive a soob and see if she likes it.Then discuss the costs and the special oils required for oil changes and see if she likes spending money like that? Best way to increase mileage is with better driving
Old 03-31-2013, 02:41 PM
owner of Prices Garage

Last photo:

i drove a nissan sentra with one on a 4 hr trip felt like it slips all the time the parts are really high to fix also
Old 04-01-2013, 07:04 AM

Last photo:

worst "new-ish" car I ever drove was a forrester non turbo...it was appallingly slow and I almost got run over coming down an entrance ramp with the SOB floored to get to 65...and I ran out of room before I had to merge... it was a pucker inducing experience.

As as avid snowmobiler; CVTs are nothing new in concept, they're as bland as milque toast to drive in a heavy application though. I also had the dubious honor of renting a Ford 'Five Hundred' several years ago...again it was very unsettling to drive.
That car didn't have 'performance issues' but I kept waiting for it to shift and of course it never really does.

They're fine for your average commuter who hates being in control of their automobile, and driving in general, but from a performance standpoint, they're disgusting.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:26 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Guess everyone will have thier opinion, but the current trend with new cars is the more gears the better. How many you want? 5? 6? 7??? Yea, do some research and you'll find most are at least 6 speed now on the 4 cylinders - add in the lock up converter and it feels like 7. Bottom line these newer cars are having to go with all these gears to meet the mileage requirements. My wife got a new Subaru Legacy with the CVT last year and no regrets - I encouraged her to go with the CVT based on my experiance with the current crop of auto trans. Instead of the constant herky jerk of constatly shifting, it's nice and smooth and pulls steady. And also comming from ATV & snowmobile experiance - I always wondered why all vehicles didn't come with CVT?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

If you trade cars every couple of years they may be ok but 2 things bother me greatly. First, they have a woven steel belt in them that basicly runs between variable pullies and second, they are not rebuildabe. The last thing I want is an automatic transmission that has a bad belt in it and costs 8000 to replace. I just sold a Nissan Quest with 264,000 miles on it. I will have to wait and see if a CVT can do that.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 AM

Last photo:

most of your transmissions now aren't rebuilt by your local shop. They are turned in for a core and a reman unit is installed in its place. Hell most of your new transmissions are a sealed unit, you can't even change the fluid on your own.

As these things get more complicated, the ability to service them in an independent shop is quickly going by the wayside. I understand being worried about the belt, we used to hear a lot of that in regards to so called 'interference engines' and timing belts. I think the CVTs will last 70-80,000 miles at least.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
most of your transmissions now aren't rebuilt by your local shop. They are turned in for a core and a reman unit is installed in its place. Hell most of your new transmissions are a sealed unit, you can't even change the fluid on your own.

As these things get more complicated, the ability to service them in an independent shop is quickly going by the wayside. I understand being worried about the belt, we used to hear a lot of that in regards to so called 'interference engines' and timing belts. I think the CVTs will last 70-80,000 miles at least.
I may agree with you Autogear but to me 70-80,000 miles is absolutely totaly unacceptable. It costs 600 dollars to replace a timing belt. You won't be replacing a transmission for 8-10 times that.

John
Old 04-02-2013, 08:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

The Subie's CVT works well, but they do freewheel when you let off the gas. Sad but, Subaru is slowly phasing out the manuals, and they dropped the 4spd auto a few years ago.
Subaru touts MPG with them because if you click it into " 6th gear " manually, it gets a little better overdrive ratio than what the transmission will put out in 'drive', and they can give a slight margin better MPG than the stick versions.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

My info comes what I read in trade journals and tech sheets on CVT..

Parts are basically dealer only and are "component assemblies" only, not individual parts available.

operating pressures in CVT are in the 600 to 800 psi range
Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 PM

Cvt.

Since I posted this thread I have been researching the CVT reliability issue. I decided against having one. The reliability of CVT's so far is hit and miss, not something I want to spend my money on. Honda still uses a standard design 5speed auto trans. We will probably be getting her a new Honda. I am not convinced the CVT is a better design, with todays manufacturing, it seems that they can build it better, but choose to build it cheaper. It sure seems that most car companies only care if their product makes out of the warranty period than long term customer satisfaction. Really sad!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Studebaker For This Useful Post:
Crosley (04-05-2013), John long (04-05-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studebaker View Post
Since I posted this thread I have been researching the CVT reliability issue. I decided against having one. The reliability of CVT's so far is hit and miss, not something I want to spend my money on. Honda still uses a standard design 5speed auto trans. We will probably be getting her a new Honda. I am not convinced the CVT is a better design, with todays manufacturing, it seems that they can build it better, but choose to build it cheaper. It sure seems that most car companies only care if their product makes out of the warranty period than long term customer satisfaction. Really sad!
We bought my wife a new Honda Civic last year.. When looking for a car, one rule I had was NO CVT trans in the vehicle
Old 04-05-2013, 07:21 PM

I like the mazda line better than Honda.I used to work at a port of entry,found Honda the most difficult of all the manufacturers.They claim great products but their warranty claims are tough to get any help.Honda says that the customer did something wrong,not the products fault.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.