Cycle fender bracket suggestions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 08:18 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cycle fender bracket suggestions

I need to fabricate some brackets for cycle type front fenders. There were some "cautions" about bracket construction mentioned in this thread "Old School" Roadster Front Fenders but my searches have not uncovered any actual bracket designs or "how to".

Mikey did provide a good link in that thread for motorcycle fenders which included this shot of a bracket (please excuse the poor picture quality, it was sorta just a thumbnail pic on the site that I had to blow up).

Can I just use that design and cut the outer leg off, like this?

In the thread sited above Fred56 did say he had some brackets made of 3/8" rod which failed so I want to make sure what I make will withstand the vibration and stress yet look half way decent. At the moment I'm thinking of forming the bracket as shown in the picture above out of 3/16 x 1" flat stock. Then, to provide additional strength, I would weld a 3/16 x 3/4" flat stock "backbone" in the center of the back side (the engine side) of the main 1" piece of flat stock. I thought this might look better and be a little stronger than the 1/2" square tubing Fred56 suggested (also easier to bend into the correct shape to fit the inside of the fender curve.)

Anybody have other designs, suggestions, or pictures of something better? I'd rather not get into round tubing if at all possible. (Mikey DID mention that making the brackets was EASY...so I'm expecting he'll have a pair of them in the mail for me tomorrow!!!!!)
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I have these pics but none of how they attach to the fender.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2007, 06:45 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Whoa, those look STOUT Brew. Appears to be 1/4 x 1 1/2 flat stock? Do you know if holes were drilled later to attach them to the fenders? If not, I'd really be interested in how they are attached so cleanly...with no bolt heads showing. I suppose you could weld the brackets from the under side...but doesn't leave much room for error (and Lord knows I'm prone to error).

Thanks for the pics. Makes me think I'm on the right track.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I agree that you are on the right track.

Those are on my brother in laws A coupe who lives about 30 miles away. Because they are painted black and bolt to the backing plates they virtually disappear. He is in and out of town for the next week or so and I will talk to him about them when I can get a hold of him. I will post the info then.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

Cycle fender bracket suggestions

Cboy.... What are you using for brakes? The set I made were for a model A with '47 brakes. I don't have a picture of them and god only knows where the car is now.

A couple of things I found are keep the weight down as much as you can, and if at all possible, use a 3 point mounting on the backing plate. Spread these hole as far apart as you can to help keep the vibrasions down. I just riveted the fender to the brackets.You don't want a bolt hanging down under the fender to catch on the tire. Be sure the prime the spots on the fender under the rivet first. The brackets were fab'd from 3/16 stock with a gusset running from the fender to the mounting hole.

Hope this helps.....Youngster

One more thing...When you are ready for that first test drive, take the fenders off 'til you have the front end alignment right on. We didn't and had to build a new fender after a bad shimmy developed at 45 mph!
Old 10-21-2007, 08:46 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

I have a couple spare tire covers I plan to whittle up for front fenders. I was thinking I might use spring steel, maybe some old dump rake teeth. I will have to research how to get the metal tempered after I heat and reshape. I also plan to have mine easy to remove.
I may even widen out spare tire covers for the same treatment on the rear.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.