Cycle tires on the front? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2007, 06:19 PM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cycle tires on the front?

Now that I've got my wheel issue sorted out, here's another question I probably already know the answer to.

I've seen several wicked looking cars wearing motorsickle tires on the front (notably Posies way cool roadster). I like the idea mainly for the dual whitewall, and cartoonish "big and little" look it gives. My concern is driveability and handling. What looks good on a trailer queen or fairground cruiser won't work to drive 'cross country. I'm sort of half considering having a pair mounted up just to be a show off, since I do have enough rims now.

I'd initially thought I get a pair of light truck radials for the rear, something like 215 or 22575R 16's, and as small a front, like a 185 75R 16, if there is such a thing. I'd run radial tubes, no big deal. I'd like it to be a reasonably good handling car, considering the suspension, and radial tires make a huge difference.

Bias ply tires are the obvious choice for asthetics, but I'm willing to forgo the authentic look for driveability, especially if I have the cycle tires for local driving. I'm also planning on a pair of grooved slicks on 15's for occasional use as well. Whitewalls might make the car look a little "showey" for what I want, and EVERYBODY is doing that, which makes it sort of less interesting, to my mind.

Any thoughts on this subject? Check out the photos of my project in my journal (just click on the header at the top of the page) to see what I'm building and what the look of the car is. Waist high, fenderless '36 chopped up Ford, if you don't wanna look at photos.

Any and all opinions appreciated, I want this thing to look right.

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2007, 09:37 PM

Last photo:

my 2 cents

Well I had an opinion about everything else you did so im not going to stop now. I like the idea of spokes but for safety sake I would go with 1920 or 30 ford spokes. The taller the better on the back, smaller on front. Safe and ya got your spokes.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:07 AM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

Running 16" Akront mudcatcher rims with Hallcraft hubs and custom spokes on the front of my T using a 3.50 tire at 45 psi. They are laced hub in to center the load on the spokes. Used to have problems with the spokes till I had the heav shank spokes made. I still don't do any heavy cornering, but Ibelieve they would do just fine if I did
Old 12-15-2007, 07:48 AM

Last photo:

No no, I'm not thinking of using 'cycle spoke wheels (which look OK on a T-bucket but NOT on a car like the one I'm building), just 'cycle TIRES on the artillery wheels.

The front rims are for the car 4" artillery style rims. My Panhead has 3" rims, so I thought that a pair of cycle tires would mount up to the only slightly wider rim OK. I found a source for a pair of 'cycle widewhites for 110 bucks a pair. My thinking was, they might be OK on the front, for the dual whitewall, and the small size. Otherwise, 5.00 16's, or very small, 75 series 16" radials, for a narrow profile and relatively tall sidewall. The price is certainly right, and the look would be perfect, I'm concerned about handling and tire wear on a car as opposed to a cycle fitment. Probably, they'd last longer on a car, now that I think about it.

Brian
Old 12-15-2007, 08:40 AM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

You will have wear problems with that arrangement. Most cycle tires are rated for 350-450 load. I have mine slightly overloaded at 1050 lbs on a 450 rated tire and they have noticable wear. I expect I will be replacing them every 6-7000 mi. For a cruise around town with you car, it would be alright, but I wouldn't do any cross country stuff. The small tire will upset your braking and aggravate any understeer condition and give it one if it doesn't already have one. Not trying to dissuade you, but small fronts do require a careful hand when driving.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

The handling problem is the one concern I have. I thought they might understeer. As far as longevity, front tires on my Panhead last about 10K and rears less, around 7. I've had 4 sets on it. That's in line with what you get on your roadster. My bike weighs almost 800 lbs empty, has "Big Bertha" bags we have had a case of wine, in addition to our clothes. We aren't big, but together weigh a little over 325, so that's around 1200 lbs loaded on two 3.50x16's, more than the car will on each tire.

Thanks for the input, I'm going with radials!

Brian
Old 12-20-2007, 10:29 AM

Last photo:

Well, I did it. Changed my mind after several buddies (two of 'em NSRA safety inspectors) came over the other night to check out the '36. They all agreed the 16" cycle tires would be perfectly OK on the front. So, I bought a pair of Coker 'cycle tires on ebay. These are 760 lb load, 5" section tires, and should fit on the cars 4" rims just fine. The price was right, they've never been mounted, and they have a tread pattern that looks kinda like dirt tracker tires. Plus, whites on both sides. I got a rear tire out I'd saved from my Panhead and rolled it up to the car, it looks good and is the same dia. and section as the 500 16's on the original Ford wheels I have. I'm going for it.

If, for some reason the tires don't work out for the car, the Pan is about due for new shoes anyway, so it'll work out either way. If I want to take 30 mph curves at 70, I'll put the set of 17" and 16" American Salt Flats with big sticky rubber I have on my T'Bird on the roadster, so it's not like I don't have options. I can even mount up the worn tire I saved as a spare, whitewalls and all. I think it's all gonna work out...

Brian
Old 12-20-2007, 02:14 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Cycle tires do look good on hotrods
Shane
Old 12-20-2007, 03:20 PM

Last photo:

Tires

Hope your right...they do look good though. Life insurance payed up?

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.