Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cylinder balance tester???
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by A/G WILLYS
Just picked this up at a tag sale and dont know anything about it, it says at the top Cylinder Balance Tester KENTMORE OPG J-7412 it has 8 spark plug wires coming off of it and 1 wire with an alligator clip, anyone know how to use this?
I believe the "theory of operation" is to cancel cylinders... it's a fancy "J tool" that dealers were forced to buy as an essential tool. A low budget version I have in my tool box is 8 short pieces of vacuum hose. I generally put the vacuum hose from the distributor cap to the wire. There is enough carbon in the hose to complete electrical connection for an engine to run. I use an insulated wire to ground from the vacuum hose to the block. This allows you to see if a rough running engine "gets rougher" or stays the same in performance. If it stays the same, you found the cylinder that dropped.

If I am wrong about the tool, someone please correct me... but the little wires coming off of the "plug wires" I believe are for your canceling.