Cylinder Head Epoxy Filling - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008, 07:27 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Cylinder Head Epoxy Filling

Doing some serious head porting and polishing on a set of 305 SBC 601 castings and need to know what type of filler/epoxy to use in the pockets where the rocker/guide plate studs protrude into the runners to smooth out the air flow.
I know many of you have done this but I have no idea how to/what epoxy product to use.

Thanks to all, this is a great site for all of us.

Roy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 10:17 AM

"Splash Zone" seems to be the product of choice for reshaping runners but If you dont have access to a flow bench you can only guess if the changes are helping or hurting airflow. As far as the stud holes in the runner go, this is common in alot of heads - even high end ones. If the stud pertrudes into the runner, (which I doubt it will) it should be trimmed. Use ARP thread sealer or equivalent on the studs during assembly. FWIW, I recently read the same question on another board and the consensus of some well respected builders was that due to the location of the hole, filling them showed little or no improvement in airflow.mudlust.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

I A-B flow test compared a ported 416 head with and without the void in the roof of the intake port filled with putty and filling that void increased air flow by 6cfm.

Do all your porting machining, cleaning etc before filling the gap with putty.
The metal must be clean and oil free. You can spread and work the putty with a wet finger or two. the water will allow you to work the putty smooth enough.

Use something like pro auto brake parts spray cleaner to clean the metal.
After the putty has cured you may want to coat it with something that resists gasoline and other solvents. Like maybe Seal All Seal-All
Old 11-24-2008, 06:42 AM
knuckle banger

Is 6cfm going to be worth the time and cost of the splash zone?
Old 11-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

heads

IMO filling that hole is a total waste of time.

I doubt a 6cfm increase.

If you really feel the need to, RAM Racing in oxford PA has the best stuff i have ever used.

Do a web search for his site and you can buy it direct from him. Tell him Keith from K-Star Automotive sent you.

Keith
Old 11-24-2008, 03:28 PM

F-Bird, I'm curious about your results on the 416 head. I examined two sets of heads I have in the basement. The first set was a gm 624 casting with 1.94/1.5 valves -bone stock. The intake port has a large depression,(about 3/4") cast into the roof where the rocker stud was pressed in. The second set was an aftermarket aluminum head with a smooth (undimpled) roof. Drilling for screw-in studs broke through into the port roof leaving a 7/16 hole. Did the 416 heads have the big void as in the first example? What kind of flow numbers were you getting outta the 416's? Valve size? Test lift? Also, It has always been my understanding that Splash zone was gasoline resistant and only needed a top coat for alky use. Not trying to impugn your post - just curious.mudlust.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383mudlust
F-Bird, I'm curious about your results on the 416 head. I examined two sets of heads I have in the basement. The first set was a gm 624 casting with 1.94/1.5 valves -bone stock. The intake port has a large depression,(about 3/4") cast into the roof where the rocker stud was pressed in. The second set was an aftermarket aluminum head with a smooth (undimpled) roof. Drilling for screw-in studs broke through into the port roof leaving a 7/16 hole. Did the 416 heads have the big void as in the first example? What kind of flow numbers were you getting outta the 416's? Valve size? Test lift? Also, It has always been my understanding that Splash zone was gasoline resistant and only needed a top coat for alky use. Not trying to impugn your post - just curious.mudlust.
This particular ported 416 head (1.94x 1.60" valves) flowed 233cfm at high lift and 239 cfm with the putty filling the gap in the roof of the port. I did not epoxy up the gap, just filled it with play doe putty for the flow test and retested to see if it helped the flow or not (cause someone else {who actually does this too} on another forum said it did in their tests). He was right, it did help. by 6 cfm, on my head in my test on a flowbench.

I've never used "Splash Zone" epoxy so can't comment on it.
I have used other epoxy on another 416 head I did where I carved right thru and had to repair that. I flowed that head too on the same day on the same bench. It was ported right to the max and flowed 243cfm. (you don;t need to get quite that carried away)
I ran this head on a 350SBC in my Firebird that had vortecs on it previously. It ran really really really well.
One head of this head set got destroyed by an engine failure but the epoxy repair held fine.

I sold the 1st set (that I tried the putty test in the port roof void on) (233without -239cfm/with) to a guy in Buffalo NY and he really liked them.

When I do a set of these 305 heads I try to keep costs down so I just drill and roll pin the stock rocker studs.

I have another set of these ported 416 heads on a 350 that I will be drag testing in the spring. This pair flow 234cfm and do not have the roof epoxyed up, at this time. I'll be testing it with various intakes, cams and two compression ratios on two 350's. At some point I be retesting to see if filling the roof void with epoxy and filling in the exhaust egr passages in the exhaust ports with aluminum improves the actual installed performance. (I already know it helps on the flow bench).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heads3a.jpg
Views:	1713
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	34408  

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.