Hot Rod Forum banner

cylinder head heat passage

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  steppenwolf 
#1 ·
Anyone know of a non permanent way to block of the heat passages in the heads????The only way I know of is w/ epoxy.

#2 ·
Tap the hole for a pipe plug, most passages are already tap drill size for a 1/4 NPT pipe plug. Just be sure to use stainless or steel recessed Allen head hydraulic pipe plugs. They last the longest and are the thickest.

#5 ·
Thanks for the link man.I never knew they made block off gaskets.An hey theres allways tinfoil balls.Anyay have you noticed how far into the plenum the passages on the performer intake go.I've noticed that my motor is very sensitive to heat.65deg day it overpowers the tires for ever.80+deg day it can't break loose and won't pull.I don't have a choke or egr so I figured what the hell is the sense.

#6 ·
I thought you might be referring to the end passages like on a Ford. Just remember that if you block them completely cold weather driveability goes to he11. Doesn't NY get some cold weather?

The gaskets with blockoffs work well...for a while. Seems they last a few years and then rot out, an intake that has no passage is the best option or welding up your passages in the intake is the best solution, or you could just replace gaskets every few years. If you have ever had a carb ice up before you might want to reconsider if you drive it in anywhere near freezing temps.

#7 ·
Originally posted by 4 Jaw Chuck: (QB)Just remember that if you block them completely cold weather driveability goes to he11. Doesn't NY get some cold weather?(QB)[/qb]<hr></blockquote>

They say here if you don't like the weather stick around 15min.The weather changes so much that its almost something out of a steven king movie.

As far as the block offs I don't care about the cold weather drive ability I only drive it from Mar-Oct.Also seems to run best ice cold I ran itr one year in the winter ith no thermostate run likea raped ape.

[ October 11, 2002: Message edited by: 78 monte ]</p>

#8 ·
thanks for a great thread, and reference, all - I just got a 74 firebird, the torquemonkey who had it before me blocked off the heat passages with sheet steel, a cork sheet, and a 3/8 steel plate. why, i have no idea, but now I at least know why and what it does for performance. (yeah, i'm a little new to this). and 78 monte, you in upstate NY? we have the same weather (and driving season) up here.
hope I didn't offend anyone, good luck to all, i'll be back often with annoying questions and comments.
can't help it, the information's good.

#10 ·
thanks for the idea, the problem is that the manifold itself has no heat passages. It was sold to me as a torker II, which it's clearly not (no markings, and it only has 4 branches, instead of being a solid block. aluminum, looks like good airflow, though. anyone know what this might be, by the way?)... so the heat passages don't have any part of the manifold to seal against, even with steel over them. I was thinking of getting some aluminum to screw down over the passages and over the gasket... any ideas? thanks, by the way

#11 ·
Stepinwolf were in NY?????Gotta love the weather rains 4days a week,105deg 1day a week then cloudy the other two.Did you get to drive your car on the 3 good days we have a year????No really,it wasn't a bad summer can't complain but spring(monsoon season) sucked.

#13 ·
Your a ways away from me but not too far out ,three hours or so.Yea rained like a bastard here today my heater box still leaks so I think I'll go swimming tomarrow on my floor mat befor work.Ain't there a 1/10mi Dragstrip up youir way called Apple Valley???Think I went there once as a kid w/ my uncle when he had his drag car.

P.S.Either way go to Nick Tahoes's and get me a Garbage Plate and send it UPS ovenight air.

#14 ·
There are no markings on it at all? Someone must've altered a Torker or a Holley Street Avenger. On Pontiacs they are both a raised "X" pattern. I just got a Holley Street avenger that someone completely removed the heat crossovers from the flange that mounts to the head all the way across under the "X". I makes it look like an Air Gap manifold or something, but it still says street avenger on it. Is the mounting flange a square or more like a quadrajet opening? I got lucky, I jsut have to use a piece of steel plate to block the hole through the mounting flange.

You do NOT want to sandwich the metal bewteen the intake and gasket!!!! You have to cut the gasket where the plate is gonna go and use high temp RTV to seal the plate. If the plate is sandwiched between the gasket and manifold or head it will have an effect on sealing of your intake runners.

#16 ·
haven't looked at the mounting flange recently (school, etc. gets in the way of those things you actually want to do)... but i remember it has no middle flanges, only the four arms of the x. I figured I'd just cut some aluminum to fit between the arms along the heads and bolt those down to seal it.
apple valley is now a 1/2 mile oval, called spencer speeday. never been there - about an hour's drive. I'll do my best on the garbage plate, Monte.
But in TX you have to put five times the mileage on the car to get wherever you want to go, everything's so spread out. (at least as my experience goes)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.