Cylinder head "At Home" porting - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 09:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvcw71
I did some bowl blending on a pair of 339's & drilled the steam holes for my 413 build. I'm sticking with the 1.72 intakes & going with +.008 oversize stem valves. Brass thinwall guides have been installed by previous valve job.
1.72 intakes ???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

1.72" intake valves
Old 09-22-2008, 06:51 AM

Last photo:

valve size

Well guys I got some work done on my 416 heads this weekend. I haven't had anyone who's a pro look at them yet but i think I'm going pretty good so far. The main trouble I'm having is reaching everything. My carbide burs are only 2" long and somehow my extension got bent so there's another 20 bucks I get to get fork out. I purchased the short ones instead of the long ones cuz i thought the long burs would be hard to handle, now i wish i had one but this weeks money is already spent.

Anyway, I had asked previously about the valve size on the heads, in reguard to how big i can go. I know I can go to 194/160, but is that all?? Can i go all the way to 202's? I'll try and get some photo's of my progress this week sometime. Thanks in advance if anyone knows this.
Danny
Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM

Last photo:

eatonde,
For proper porting you will need a longer bur. I buy a burs with a 6" long shank
and cut them down to ~ 4" long, this reduces high speed wobble that will bend
the shank. In addition you will need a speed control, spinning long shank bits
at extremely high speed is very dangerous.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

pics

Thanks for the "bit tip" there guys. The only problem is that there is only one store here in PODUNK that carries these burs, and he wont part out a set and sell me what i need. Instead he wants $271 for 4 of the 6" shank burs. Thats why I was trying to find an extension so i didn't hafta order one and wait 2-3 weeks to get it.

Thanks for the pics f bird, If you have any more to share I'd really appreciate it since I am doing the same head. That way i can make every part of mine resemble what you did. Plus that particular one was a lilttle hard to see down in the bowls. I see your point abou the 202 valves, I'll stick witht the 194, 160's. thanks man
Old 09-23-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatonde
Thanks for the "bit tip" there guys. The only problem is that there is only one store here in PODUNK that carries these burs, and he wont part out a set and sell me what i need. Instead he wants $271 for 4 of the 6" shank burs. Thats why I was trying to find an extension so i didn't hafta order one and wait 2-3 weeks to get it.

Thanks for the pics f bird, If you have any more to share I'd really appreciate it since I am doing the same head. That way i can make every part of mine resemble what you did. Plus that particular one was a lilttle hard to see down in the bowls. I see your point abou the 202 valves, I'll stick witht the 194, 160's. thanks man
i forget where i ordered my 6" ones from but it was here in town
Old 09-23-2008, 04:54 PM

Last photo:

price

you remember how much they were?? could you just get one or did you hafta buy a set??
Old 09-23-2008, 06:37 PM

Last photo:

Porting is not something you want to get in a hurry with. You should go back to
the store you visited and tell them 4" - 6" long burs sell for ~ $28 each. Then go
to a internet site like this one and order what you need.

mondello
Old 09-23-2008, 07:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

Go here: http://www.carbidebur.com/bursmain.html

Get SF-3L6DBL and SH2L6DBL, these will do 90% of what you need.

Get a Dremel tool and a box of stones for getting in the small spaces.

Take the money you saved and buy a head to practice on, By the time you've screwed up 3 ports, you should have it figured out for the last one. The tool does bite, you need to see how and when it does as it will extract a lot of seat damage from you if it goes off in the wrong place.

Get a jar of Vaseline, you can put a blob in your hand and on you fingers so you can hold onto the shaft and guide it. Yeah, you'll get whacked now and then, it heals. One of the reasons I like stones over bits is when you bind 'em in a hole they bust instead if doing damage to the part or you. But stones suitable for the job are getting hard to find. My fav is 1-1/4 inch long by 1/2 inch dia cylindrical on a 1/4 shank. I shape them either from use or with a shaper tool into what I need. When starting with new stones I begin from the manifold side doing the corners first working inward toward the pocket. Then I flip it over and do the pocket from the seat to the top of the guide. By now I have several stones with the shape and size I want for shaping the guide and areas of the walls adjacent to the guide. Then I pull the flat surfaces to blend into the radius's. This is my rough prep that also serves for quick and dirty street porting. If it's a serious race head, after this rough up it goes on the flow bench for the serious work. But make no mistake, my rough up technique makes a damn effective port. But I've been butchering heads for a lot of decades so while I may make it sound glib like watching a home improvement show remodel a kitchen in half an hour, I know my way around most ports so it goes fast and consistent simply by eyeball. You'll find you've acquired a lot of that by the time you're finished with the sacrificial head.

You might as well buy the sacrificial head up front, 'cause you're more likely than not to sacrifice one of the heads you already have anyway learning what and how to do this. So start with a piece of rusty junk from a puddle at the wrecking yard and learn on it, instead of something decent you already know works. It doesn't even matter if it's exactly the same head, you want to develop a rhythm and feel for what your doing and practice teaches that.

Bogie
Old 09-23-2008, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

A woodworking router speed control will work too.

clicky here for some on eBay. 16 bucks!

Also, if you have a sewing machine in the house, you can splice in or adapt right into the plug that goes into the machine and you gots one for free!!

mark
Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
you remember how much they were?? could you just get one or did you hafta buy a set??
26 bucks ,,i think,,you tried NAPA ? (that could have been longer than 6)

Last edited by russcomp; 09-23-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:00 PM

I know its been a couple months

Its been a minute since anyone posted so was curious how the learning is going.

I also wanted to say we do have the best community around on the web for what its worth, and alot of the good ones are in this thread helping out.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:30 AM

Last photo:

The place I got and get ALL replacement porting tools from is:

http://www.foredom.com/

They have everything mentioned here and more. For Burrs get CARBIDE double flute crosscut for steel/cast iron and Carbide single flute for aluminum. The ogive cutters are the most versitle.

It is very true that the "home porters" will make more messes than provide improved heads. It takes years and years with very expensive tooling to properly improve port design, size, and shapes for improved/optimum air flow.

In the heads I have done, flow is more important than numbers.

I will port match intakes to heads and heads to exhaust, the rest I leave to the CNC guys and just clean up the intake ports results to 80 grit and polish the exhausts now days. It is much cheaper than buying the needed tooling. I do not want to just grind away on multi thousand dollar heads.

Knowing ones limitations, is a very important thing to learn when doing anything.

Last edited by OHD; 11-26-2008 at 06:44 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.