Hot Rod Forum banner

cylinder head intake runner cc?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Bill Yarbrough 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to rebuild an '86 Corvette TPI motor in my '59 Chevy. The plan is to bost the compression to about 10.0:1 and use an aluminum head and mild roller cam. What I don't undersrtand is intake runner volume in the head. Do I want 190cc or 210cc or other? The intake air on the TPI engine has all ready flowed almost two feet after leaving the plenum before reaching the head. What effect does that have? This car is driven 20,000+ miles a year and I love the TPI low end torque and gas milage. Please give me some help on head selection. You guys have been a big help in the past.

#2 ·
Definitely hands down the 190cc. You need enough flow to support the HP you want. Bigger ports usually means more flow, but 190 will have more than enough flow to support anything that the TPI can give it.

In fact, is there a 180cc option? Having ports be too big will slow down the intake velocity which shows up as sluggish low end performance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.