Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cylinder Head Porting - INFO please.
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 06:58 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk-v8
Hey Guys,

Where can I get a good Porting Kit?

What porting tools do I need?

I need to start on the port job ASAP!

Please let me know!
You may be better off sourcing your abrasives and mandrels, etc. locally. Find a machine shop supply house that sells abrasives and get a selection of "tootsie rolls", both straight and tapered and about 80 grit. These fit onto a mandrel that's chucked into whatever tool (electric or pneumatic) that you're working with- so match the mandrel diameter to the tool.

If you have large amounts of material to remove, you'll want to use stones or a carbide cutter. They come in various sizes and shapes, I use a ball and tear drop-shaped tools for what little work I do w/carbide. Stones come in a verity of shapes, grits and materials- some are better w/iron and some better w/aluminum. Since I don't use stones per se, I won't comment further regarding them. I prefer to use the cartridge rolls as much as possible because for me they just do a smoother, better job but they are slower than a carbide tipped tool, that's for sure.

There are flapper wheels to do finish work with, but again- I prefer to use rolls for most all the work I do. For working w/aluminum, I use the double cut burrs and keep them clean by lubing them often. Single cut carbide cuts too aggressively for my liking, YMMV.