Hot Rod Forum banner

cylinder heads

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  i1964ss 
#1 ·
hi guys, i've got a tech question. it's easy change cylinder heads on sbc without disturb timing or anything else

#2 ·
Say that again? I think you're asking if it's possible to change cylinder heads without disturbing timing? If you don't already know the answer to that question you're probably better off having someone else change your heads!

I'm assuming you're talking about an older (non computer) sbc here.. In order to pull the heads, you have to remove the intake. In order to remove the intake, you have to remove the distributor, carb, throttle linkages, any accessories bolted to the heads etc. After removing all this, you're going to have to reset your timing, valve lash, etc.

If you decide to go ahead with this, get someone who has done it before or has built an engine at least. There are lots of good books on building engines that have all the info you need. You're basically taking the engine almost to short block so it's a pretty involved process.. Good luck!

#4 ·
i'd know i've to take a lot of parts in order to change the cylinder heads is not like i'm completely blind about cars i can take apart and put it back together that's no big deal and is a 327 so there's no computer to mess with what i meant is there a way you can mark the distributor so you can put it back the same way, the heads have the valve job done already

#5 ·
i1964ss said:
i'd know i've to take a lot of parts in order to change the cylinder heads is not like i'm completely blind about cars i can take apart and put it back together that's no big deal and is a 327 so there's no computer to mess with what i meant is there a way you can mark the distributor so you can put it back the same way, the heads have the valve job done already
You need to turn the motor so #1 is at TDC. Remove the distributor cap and note where the rotor is pointing. You can make a mark on the distributor shaft flange where the clamp is and a matching mark on the intake so when you reinstall the distributor, you just line up the marks. This will be a waste of time if you are installing different heads as your timing will change depending on the cc of the heads and other factors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.