Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Cylinder honing tools
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 07:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billvill
I would have went with the flexi stone. It produces a great cross hatch pattern.
True but that is about all it does and with a little practice the stones will produce as good a pattern and you can do more with a good conventional hone. One thing you want to avoid is dragging the hone out of the cylinder while it is stopped because it will leave three vertical marks in the cylinder walls. I have seen this a lot and it amazes me how some people will do this and seem to think it does not hurt anything. Simply squeeze the stones together to relax the pressure before removing the hone and you will not have this problem. A few years ago I had a machine shop in Knoxville Tn bore and hone a Ford V6 block for me and every cylinder had these three marks in the walls where the "machinist" had removed the hone. When I complained to the shop manager he said that won't hurt a thing we do it all the time! Sure enough when I left the place I noticed in the short blocks they had sitting there for sale that EVERY one of them had these cylinder marks! I am not sure what they used to hone these engines with and these marks could actually be felt but even if you can not feel them they should not be there, there simply is no reason to do it. On a Ford 300 six some years ago the same thing happened and when I complained that time I was told "Aw don't worry about it they will fill up with oil and be ok"