Hot Rod Forum banner

Cylinder No. wrong

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  engineczar 
#1 ·
I'm working on this 93 Camaro with EFI 3.4 engine and am having problems getting the valves adjusted correctly. Anybody who has worked on one of these knows it's a pain with more than half the engine tucked under the lower portion of the windshield base. This car originally had a intake leak at the back of the intake and the stupid plug that used to be the dist. before they went to DIS systems was leaking badly. In order to remove and replace the intake gasket's the push rods had to be removed because they pass through the intake gasket's. Well, While trying to reset them according to my book I run into a problem that makes no sense. The book start's out by telling you to adjust exhaust on Cyl. 1,2,3 while the 1 piston at TDC. them do the intakes on 1, 5, 6, then turn crank 180 and do all others with a final 1 3/4 turn after 0 lash. The typical Small chevy Firing Order. All goes well except for the the 3 cylinder is on the lobe of the cam while doing it this way! And the call for 1 3/4 turn from 0?. Really that far down? I never go more than a 1/4. I start looking for a firing order to make sure the cylinders are No. the way I thought But my book say's it a DIS and completely non adjustable so they don't even give a firing order or cylinder shake down. Now I'm mad so I try adjusting them by rotating the crank by hand and adjusting each cylinder when it's at TDC only to have the thing not work after reassembly with classic popping out intake and exhaust while running with a miss and no throttle resonse. I would try to run down the rockers while running the engine(NOT my favorite way) but the entire upper manifold must be removed in order to get the valve covers off for adjustment.

So, we are back to this point.

Adjust the rockers according to the book while No 3 exhaust is sitting on cam lobe(can't see how that's going to work) or adjust them with intake open... or exhaust closing...(tried that already) Can anyone confirm the cylinders are No. 1, 3, 5, on the passenger side bank and 2, 4. 6, on the drivers side bank? Or since the No. 1 Cylinder is on the passenger side are they No. 1, 2, 3, On passenger side with 4, 5, 6, on the other or what?

See less See more
#2 ·
Are you sure you ran the valves on each cylinder with the piston at TDC on the power stroke? It may be that a cylinder was on TDC on the end of the exhaust stroke and you were setting the valves against a slight amount of overlap...

Just a thought...

Plus that thing is a 60 degree motor...

http://www.60degreev6.com/

This may help you even better... :D

Let us know what you find bro...

#3 ·
Best I could find was a post about firing order being 1-2-3-4-5-6,
Apparently the coil packs are marked different. Can't say what's up with that.

I read on another site that cylinders were no. 1,3,5 on the right and 2,4,6 on the left but he never said whether he was standing in front of the car or sitting in it. I'm not assuming anything right now. I've had this thing apart three times now and getting sick of it.

I hoped I was wrong and set valves per book with the exception that that cylinder 1 was on the drivers side. That didn't work out either because that left number 3 on the intake hanging open. I took a moment to find actual TDC since the timing tab was never replaced with the previous owner just to satisfy me.

I only see one choice right now do to the lack of info I can find with these crank triggered ignitions is to pull it down to the lifter valley so I can physically see the lifters moving. I normally do all engines this way to eliminate all assumptions. It's just it'll be the 4th time it's been down. Thanks to all.

#4 ·
You should be on the right track. The firing order is 123456. Pass. side is 135, drivers side is 246. And the coil packs should be numbered. HTH.

Troy

#6 ·
Same hear, I surf at work on a T1 line. Spent at least 30 min jacking around adn found very little info.

I thought the the same as troy curt but it doesn't make since as to why the third cylinder in the cycle would be blowin down. It should be filling. Unless the firing order was other than 1,2,3,4,5,6.

With the 1 on C stroke, 2 would be E and 3 would intake,4 on C, 5 on power, and 6 on E.

Roll the engine over 180 and 1 is on intake, 2 on C, 3 on P, 4 on E, 5 on I and 6 on C.

Should I try adjusting all cylinders according what's outlined then worry about 3 exclusively?

I think my head hurts.:pain:

#7 ·
at this point why would you even need the exact firing order. Just take it a cylinder at a time. When a cylinders exhaust valve is just opening adjust the intake, when the intake valve is starting to close adjust the exhaust. The firing order would make it quicker but not necessary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.