Cylinder Sleeve in 454 Iron Block - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 10:11 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Cylinder Sleeve in 454 Iron Block

Lets say a friend of mine discovered that cylinder #8 of his 454 (actually it's a 468 .060 over) had a cylinder sleeve installed by the previous owner. The other remaining cylinders did not have a sleeve. What might be a reason why a machine shop would do that on just one cylinder? Whatever the reasons - it seems very suspicious to me - can't be good. Seems like it would be to correct a block problem (maybe a crack), or because there was an "accident" during the boring process. Am I right?

Lee

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 PM

leejoy,

The reason I have is, the cylinder had a deep rust area that would not clean up with the .060 over bore so they put the sleeve in that cylinder to save the block. Please don't think all machinists are "out to get your money".

Scholman
Old 01-04-2008, 10:20 PM

You are correct, most likely a cracked cylinder, but a properly installed sleeve is as good or better than any other cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leejoy
Lets say a friend of mine discovered that cylinder #8 of his 454 (actually it's a 468 .060 over) had a cylinder sleeve installed by the previous owner. The other remaining cylinders did not have a sleeve. What might be a reason why a machine shop would do that on just one cylinder? Whatever the reasons - it seems very suspicious to me - can't be good. Seems like it would be to correct a block problem (maybe a crack), or because there was an "accident" during the boring process. Am I right?

Lee
Old 01-04-2008, 10:26 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

Exactly, Great when properly installed. My cousin runs a 454 with 2 sleeves in his 68 camaro back halved race car. It runs 9.50s and has had the sleeves in it for about 6 years.So if it is not causing a problem it was probably installed right and never will.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 PM

there are many reasons for a sleeve..most of which would have nothing to do with the engine builders ability. core shift in the block is common on 454 Chevy blocks . sleeving is also a great way to save a rare engine from the scrap pile.i would not hesitate to run a sleeved block if the sleeve was installed properly.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:16 AM

sleeve 454

I think this probably adds to the reasoning why everyone before was telling you to have the block MAGGED. You may have to do that for sure now, and possibly pressure tested, to be sure that the sleeve is'nt the source of your water leak. As far as sleeves go, there are many reasons to use them, and many blocks are saved from the scrap pile by sleeving. My small journal 327 has a sleeve, the result of a broken ring that wore a vertical groove in a cylinder too deep to overbore out; had that cylinder sleeved, then rebored to the same piston that was not damaged (?), and it's been fine. At the time I could'nt find another small journal 327 block for a replacement because I did'nt like the idea of a sleeve ,but my machinist assured me it was done all the time, and that that cylinder would in fact be stronger than the others.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:09 AM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

good information guys, thanks. I learned a lot from that.

The block is at the shop right now. Tony (the owner) over there will pressure test it next week and check for leaks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed here big time. If the block leaks at that #8 cylinder where the sleeve is then I am probalby screwed for some major $$$ and the block may have to get junked.

I am anxiously awaiting his call and hopefully he will tell me the block does not leak under a pressure test and we can move forward from here.

Lee
Old 01-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Hammer and a torch

Last photo:

Had a 366 truck block awhile back that decided to explode a piston in #7 and destroyed the cylinder walls but did not hurt the block itself... Simple install of a sleeve and rebuild put it back into service in a week... (was a bucket truck that was very needed)

Machinest told me the max amount of sleeves he would put in a block was 4 with max of 2 on each side otherwise the block would become to weak...? Myself I would not have more than 2 period otherwise just look for another block...
Old 01-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Yada Yada Yada

Last photo:

All aluminum block are sleeved. they are either cast in during casting or machined and pressed in. Many many in fact I believe most diesel blocks are sleeved. Top Fuel funny car/dragster aluminum block motors are all sleeved.
When properly installed, press in replacement cylinder sleeves do not leak.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Nothing wrong with a sleeve. If done right they are as good or better. Also, rest assured that on a block as common as a 454, they wouldn't waste money sleeving a useless block. It would be cheaper to get a different block and avoid the headache.

My guess is that maybe a piston went that scored that bore, or maybe a blown head gasket scored it and/or rusted it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.