Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The D.O.T. gonna gitcha.
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Sittin' on top of the world...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

A fledgling DOT started thier hayday back in the early 80's after Reagan deregulated the transportation industry. The jypo truckers with worn out rigs and no sleep were free to roam the countryside, cutting each other's throats and killing people in the process. Once the government got a foot in the door on that one, armed with new highway death toll statistics, they realized what a gold mine they were sittin' on. They didn't take long to blow the department up to the monster it is today. The new DOT with thier monkey-suits, creepers and jump-scales are having a picknik with just about everybody who drives a truck of any kind. Surprized?

Commercial drivers who run for the big companies these days, no longer need to carry log books. It's all done with GPS and an onboard computer. Dispatchers know exactly where thier trucks are and how fast thier going without ever having to leaving the terminal. They know when your sittin' and when your rollin'....
Talk about Big Brother.. I'm just glad I gave it up over 20 years ago.

I still carry a class A CDL with doubles, triples and tank vehicles endorsments and a valid DOT medical card. It's kind of a personal memento to the better days when trucking was a better trade.. Just never know when I might need it in a pinch.

Last edited by PrimeMover; 11-27-2005 at 01:50 PM.