Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The D.O.T. gonna gitcha.
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2005, 01:20 PM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Get caught without a log book and see what they do,you will sit,or get fined or both. I work for an extremely large trucking company and that log had better be filled out correctley,and be up to date.Most all of our units have Pre-Pass or similar items depending on which state they run thro.It attaches to your windshield and when you pass under the reciever hanging over the interstate before the scalehouse,you will either get a green,or a red light flash up on it.If it is green,you do not even have to pull into the weigh station,even if they are opened.If it goes red,you pull into line.The DOT can scale you,then pull you over to do a full inspection of your unit,from rust on one rim from a loose lug nut to an inoperative marker light,they can nail you.One brake outo f adjustment can get you slammed.Plus,if you do get a fail inspection,you will have to get someone out to correct said defect before you can even leave.I have had to drive all the way to a scale house to replace a glad hand seal on a unit because the driver did not have an extra one in his truck.There are even a few heated scale inspection stations here in KY where the weather will not even save you.The way you present yourself to an officer all matters in how you get treated.Open the door and garbage falls out on the ground may get you a closer look,or if you take in a pile of unorganized papers,that can get you a closer look also.While the idea of having your tow rig and race trailer inspected seem bad,and I may not fully agree with the way the guy in the article was treated by the officer,some construction companies use the same type of trailer,and other companies also,who will pack them full.They run on electric surge brakes,and with all that weight and one short can cause an extremely heavy vehicle to become unstoppable.Keep your self prepared,keep your equipment nice and presentable(which most guys do) and hopefully they will leave you alone.
We watch video after video of new rules and regs,AND I AM IN THE SHOP!!! I do not even pull trailers for my company,except into the bays.Like all our new trucks have safety orange seatbelts in them,that way they are easily spotted by the company hounds and the DOT to see if that thing is across your chest.That I am sure,is just our companies policy and not a standard item on Class 8's.Yet,but I wonder if it will catch on,and the DOT then begins to require all new units to have them
As far as the DOT and passenger cars speeding,yeah,more than likely,but they can,just like police officers,pull you over for anything.They have the same authority as any cop when it comes to traffic.