dads chevelle ss 396 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

dads chevelle ss 396

well old man passed away earlier this year. he lefted me 67 chevelle ss 396 but needs finished being restored.it has had body off frame powder coated body has had sum work to it but its all solid almost ready for paint. has all the chrome but looks like it needs redone to has seats origanal glass rims all the bumpers dash was just wondering what it is worth it pretty much has everything just needs refinished would like to know what its worth with an without motor an trans any help would be greatly apprciated also would that motor an trans fit in 65 malibu that has 327 in it didnt know if those frames was made for big block and small block just change motor mounts that car is finished but motor is junk thanks guys again

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 02:08 AM

Last photo:

Yes the 396 can be swapped into the 65, BUT, is it the original block and transmission for the 67. If its original to the 67, it raises the value of 67 as a complete package. You can always take the money you get for the 67 and buy another big block for your 65.

Without good pictures of how the 67 looks right now, its really kinda hard to assign a price.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Last photo:

IMHO this thread is worthless without pictures.

Vince
Old 08-21-2012, 10:56 AM

Vince says"sorry you lost your Dad". take your time thinking about his car,mean while work on your car with parts from somewhere else.Drive your car. do a nice job finishing his car when your mind is more clear.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
Vince says"sorry you lost your Dad". take your time thinking about his car,mean while work on your car with parts from somewhere else.Drive your car. do a nice job finishing his car when your mind is more clear.
Yer right of course, sorry.

Vince
Old 08-21-2012, 12:11 PM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:

Sorry you lost your Dad, he must have been pretty cool to have a 67 SS396.

The value of the car could be anywhere from about $5k as a project car to about $75k as a fully restored, documented, matching numbers car with the right options and color(s).

If you have all original matching number parts for the engine, trans, and differential the value goes up.

If you have the original interior in good condition the value goes up.

If the car has the right options, 375HP, 4 speed, disc brakes, PS, PB, AC, etc the value goes up.

If the car is refinished in factory colors (interior and exterior) the value goes up; and if these happen to be favorite colors like Marina Blue the value goes up.

If you have documented low milage (<50,000) or extensive provenance (paperwork) that documents the ownership of the car, factory build sheet, sales and service records, the value goes up.

A lot of factors determine the value, ultimately it is worth what someone is willing to pay.

You should check the Chevelles.com site, there are a lot of Chevelle experts there who can help you decode the VIN, trim tag, and answer questions on how to restore this car (as opposed to us on the hotrodders site that would gladly help you chop, cut, weld, and bend your Dad's Chevelle into an outrageous example of hot rod art).

There is no doubt good value in your Dad's chevelle, it could definitely be worth spending the time and money to restore it.

If it was me the question I would be asking is "Why did Dad leave this to me?. Maybe he didn't have a choice and you got left holding the bag, or he knew you could sell it for cash or maybe he wanted you to have something that was very important to him. All I'm saying is be sure you think this through, because if you sell the car, you might end up with regret.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Last photo:

If it were me there would be no choice to make. I would restore that Chevelle no matter how long it took. As stated above, once you sell it, it's gone and I can say you will regret selling it. My Dad had a 67 Chevelle Malibu bought brand new. It wasn't an SS but a 283 Powerglide 2 door Marina blue coupe. He got rid of it a few years before he died but I had a chance to pick it up for a song. At the time I was restoring a 69 Camaro and did not have it in me to start another restore. The car was advertised in the local paper and it sold immediatly. The new owner promplty set out on a restore that turned the 2 door coupe into an SS clone. I have seen the car and it is a dead ringer for a 67 SS/396.

Vince
Old 08-21-2012, 11:49 PM

thanks guys i wouldnt think bout selling it but moms bout to lose the house so just trying to see what are options are. wish i had the money to restore it my dad did have same year same car for his first car but its not this one if i run across few thousand dollars i def would finish it and drive it just like the old man would gas on!! thanks again guys
Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 PM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:

It's easy to understand that if you need to sell the car to take care of your Mom, that's what you do.

You need to get the best price you can,, and probably without spending money to finish the car.
Give us as much information as you can. Provide pictures, get the trim tag, casting number on the engine, type stamping on the engine, pictures that show the body, interior, engine bay, and underneath if you can.
Look for all the parts that aren't on the car and make a list to include what goes with the car, gather any documents your Dad had for the car and any receipts he had.

We will be able to give you a rough idea of what you might be able to sell it for. Who knows, maybe someone here knows someone who might be interested enough to make an offer (be careful you can't advertise for sale in the forum).
When you get a good idea of the value and you have the right information to describe the car you can post an ad on here in the classifieds, put it up on CL, etc. Good Luck!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dads chevelle View Post
well old man passed away earlier this year. he lefted me 67 chevelle ss 396 but needs finished being restored.it has had body off frame powder coated body has had sum work to it but its all solid almost ready for paint. has all the chrome but looks like it needs redone to has seats origanal glass rims all the bumpers dash was just wondering what it is worth it pretty much has everything just needs refinished would like to know what its worth with an without motor an trans any help would be greatly apprciated also would that motor an trans fit in 65 malibu that has 327 in it didnt know if those frames was made for big block and small block just change motor mounts that car is finished but motor is junk thanks guys again
The 1967 SS396 Chevelle fully restored to original condiiton is worth a lot of money. Low ball would say 30-40 thousand dollars and high ball 50-60 thousand, this depends upon the exact option out, the quality of the restoration, and where you sell it.

The real value is in a numbers mataching car, so salvaging and rebuilding from the castings of the engine, transmission, and rear end that's there is really important. Do not change color of the body or interior, the big bucks are in colors and parts that match the body ID and option codes.

A small block will fit with GM parts, but the value as a Chevelle SS 396 will be destroyed by an unbelievable amount of money, essentially making the car just another junker to be restored. So since you're going to put big bucks and lots of effort into this, you might as well do it right, or put it up for sale for a few thousand bucks for the pieces and sell it to a restorer.

My condolences on the passing of you father, I discovered in my own life that I hadn't fully grown-up till my parents passed on and my life's confidants aren't here anymore.

Bogie

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.