Daily Driver - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2004, 04:37 PM
A legend in my own mind

Last journal entry: 78 El Camino
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Daily Driver

Okay, this post isn't about a hot rod, it's about a everyday weeniemobile. My daily driver (98 Dodge Stratus) rolled down a hill, went over a raised well, and hit a house ($3.800.00 damage, but insurence is fixing it) . Anyways, we're going too trade it off as soon as we get it back from the bodyshop. I'm looking at a blue 2 door 2000 Olds Alero GL. V-6 auto with 35,000 miles on it for under $8,000.00. Just hopeing someone could tell me about these cars. Anyone have/had one ??? Any info would be very helpfull.

Last edited by z3pr; 07-25-2004 at 12:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2004, 04:50 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Wow, how did you do that? and can we see some pictures of that damage? I have heard that the Alero has reliability issues, and the 3.4 V6 in it is not that great of a motor either. To be perfectly honest I think the best way to go would be to look at an Accord in that price range.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:54 PM
A legend in my own mind

Last photo:

No imports. Going GM for a daily driver this time. Don't know how the Stratus popped out of gear (It's a automadic) See pics. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286196075 Can't see the damage under there car, but there is quite a bit according too the 3 bodyshops i got estiments from.

Last edited by z3pr; 07-23-2004 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:22 PM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
think the best way to go would be to look at an Accord in that price range
Quote:
No imports. Going GM for a daily driver this time
Accord IS NOT an import. They are made in Marysville Ohio.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Clueless Teenager

Last journal entry: Misc.
Last photo:

And, it's a Honda, so it'll last you about 300,000 miles if you drive it sainly and about 200,000 if you rod the piss out of it.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:48 PM
A legend in my own mind

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin45
Accord IS NOT an import. They are made in Marysville Ohio.
Still a Honda no matter where it's made. I'm going for a GM product this time around. I kind like the look of the 2 door Olds Alero. They're kinda sporty looking, and we want a V-6 automatic transmission. What bad about the reliability with the Alero ??? Please tell me more.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

I can't find the type of information I wan't, searches are really only giving me individual peoples problems. The Alero's haven't been on the road long enough to show their longevity. I made a comment concerning reliabilty because I know the Grand Am and the Alero are the same car. At the garage I worked at, we a more Grand Am's coming in for work than what should be considered normal, and we only got the ones that were out of warrenty. Most came in for alternators, head gaskets, throwing codes, and interior parts problems.

My neighboors had an Alero for a year, the reason I got when I asked why they traded it in was "it was always having to many problems". Most Grand Am/Alero owners I know seem to either think the car is just ok or they don't really like it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=alero...n&lr=&ie=UTF-8
Old 07-23-2004, 06:52 PM
A legend in my own mind

Last photo:

Thanks for the info. If I do get the Alero, I would trade it off before 80,000 miles. We currently have 88,000 on the Stratus, and thats more then we usually keep a car for.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:54 PM

Last photo:

Oh you should be ok then, I'm used to how everyone in my family keeps cars for their life time.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:08 PM
A legend in my own mind

Last photo:

My family usually trades off our daily drivers at 80,000 miles. We usually only keep cars for 3 or 4 years. My street rods and 4x4's are a different story, I don't worry about mileage on the fun ones.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:00 PM

Last photo:

If you're hung on a GM product, look for one with the 3800 series II engine. They are stout pieces and have a good track record.

Larry
Old 07-24-2004, 12:10 AM

i had a friend with an alero and she was always having me fix ****, now my girlfriend has a 91 accord...we replaced the factory battery 3 months ago =) i drive a 68 chevelle....so that makes up for it
Old 07-24-2004, 12:20 AM
Laissez les bons temps rouler

Last journal entry: Frame Removal
Last photo:

The Alero is a vary good car. It is biult on the N-body platform along with the Grand Am and the Malibu. The Alero came with the 2.4L 4cyl and the 3400 60* V6 engines. The 4 banger had the option of a 5 spd or a 4 spd auto. The V6 only came with the auto.

The problems that the car suffers from spreads accross the whole N-body family. The most noticible is the brakes. They are prone to warping rather quickly, but replacing the crappy factory pecies with good aftermarket one fixxes that problem. By pieces, I mean the rotors and pads. The second problem with these cars only apples to those with the 3400 engines. The Lower Intake Manifold Gaskets are prone to blowing and allowing collant to leak into the engine. If this happens, the collant mixxes with the oil and creates a milky white substance that you will see on the dipstick and in the valve cover. If this happens, the LIM has to be removed and the gastek replaced with the new GM reinforced gasket. Then the oil must be changed to remove all coolant from the engine. Then changed again after 500 miles. After that all is good. There are other small problems, but nothing I would even bother to mention because they are so minor.

I had both of those problems on my 2001 Malibu. I replaced the rotors with aftermarket Brembo rotors and am running Performance Friction Carbon Metallic Pads. The LIMG let go around 54K miles and was repaired at the dealer under warranty.

If you want a lot more extensive information, check out N-body.net . intruduce yourself and ask away, we/they will be more than glad to help you.

Hope this helps a little.

Chris
Old 07-24-2004, 03:15 AM
Grumpy

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by coldknock
If you're hung on a GM product, look for one with the 3800 series II engine. They are stout pieces and have a good track record.

Larry
Agreed! Maybe a pontiac or something. 3800 engines I do like, so easy to work on.

Stay away from, 3400's and 3100's.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:21 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Quote:
If this happens, the collant mixxes with the oil and creates a milky white substance that you will see on the dipstick and in the valve cover. If this happens, the LIM has to be removed and the gastek replaced with the new GM reinforced gasket. Then the oil must be changed to remove all coolant from the engine. Then changed again after 500 miles
If that happens I would trade it off. We had that happen in our '96 Blazer with the 4.3 Vortex. A GM mechanic (a few to be exact) told me that the 4.3 was prone to do that due to the design. When the head gasket blows it allows coolant to go into the engine instead of leaking out of the engine. By the time the check engine light came on and the temperature rose high enough (it was in the cooler months) We had already drove quite a few miles. Maybe a hundred or so. I don't really know. The mechanics told me that it is a 50/50 shot of ever getting all the coolant out. And the amount of damage done to the engine depends on how far it was driven as the anti-freeze will clean all the oil off of the bearings and the AF residue is a real bear to get out of the block. Some peoples engines have lasted well over a 100,000 after that has happened and others have lasted only around 20-30,000. But if you get a new car chances of it happening are slim and it will be under warranty. Our Blazer had it happen at 27.000 miles.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.