Daily driver - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 01:06 PM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Daily driver

I have been searching for a project car for a long time now, no rush here.

One thing i never understood was, why do people always say that these older cars do NOT make reliable daily drivers, that the car cant be trusted on long road trips and things?

I can understand 30-40's era, maybe even the 50's era.
But why the 60's and early 70's era? Even though they are 40+ year old car, if they have their maintenace done, why would they not be RELIABLE daily drivers.

Im not worried about the, no power windows, locks or seats. Or the NO ac or heater. Im talking the sheer mechanics

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2006, 01:16 PM

Last photo:

There's no reason at all they can't be reliable daily drivers. Parts may be harder to get, but you can plan ahead a little on that. I have a 61 Corvair that's my daily driver, a very basic transportation car that runs very well. I think some of the bad rep comes from the fact that most of these old cars have been on the road for 40 years and haven't had the maintenance they require. 40 years from now who will be driving a 2005 model car?
Old 01-16-2006, 01:16 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

I can understand what you are saying. I drive an '85 and people still wonder why I drive a "old car". I think that a calssic car can make a good driver. The only things I would look for is upgrade the cooling system, only because it's a good idea why worry about it getting too hot. The other thing is to make sure the electrical is in good shape. Some vehicles I have looked at have mangled wiring harnesses. Of course you want to make sure the steering and brakes work they should, but that is something you want anyway.

The point is, is they can make a good driver. But when a newer car can be had, some people look at the gas mileage and accessories and wonder why spend the time to make an older car behave like it came from the factory.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Another reason is gas mileage, an older muscle could get what 15mpg? While they could go get a jap crap honda that gets 30mpg.
Also things happen to cars in parking lots, like people opening there doors and hitting your car, shopping carts, or people jealous of a nice car. Personally Id rather that kinda stuff happen to a honda or toyota rather than a nice 57' chevy.
Another reason is, if your still working on your car then you could have downtime. Say your swapping out a rearend, or you need to rebuild the tranny. It could take you a couple days or weeks, And thats time WITHOUT your transportation.

But if built right, and old hotrod or muscle car would make a good daily driver.

Brad
Old 01-16-2006, 02:34 PM

Last photo:

I don't want to make a project out of my daily driver, I just get a plain jane old car that runs pretty well and drive it. My Corvair is almost all original, A 61 Monza 4-speed, I put a modern ignition system in it, good brakes and tires and away we go. It starts up first crank every morning, I don't worry about dents or paint. I don't have any car payments, insurance is very low, and it will never be worth any less than I paid for it. I also had a 64 Chevelle for a while until I got an offer I couldn't refuse.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:05 PM
The AMC, FORD, & CHEVY Guy??!!

Last wiki edit: Improving fuel economy
Last journal entry: Finally on the road
Last photo:

I drove my '78 nova for a year and a half as transportation to school & work. I now have driven my 2004 F-150 the same amount of time work & on road trips.

The nova had, in 1 & 1/2 years & ~30,000 miles:

replaced radiator-plugged up
water pump bearing spun
master cylinder went out while exiting freeway around a loop
front suspension wore out
tire blew out on a freeway entrance ramp
thermostat lock up-fried the rings & I suspect warped the head
exhaust fell off multiple times
broken leafs on rear springs
3 sets of spark plugs(fouling plugs oil blowby & running rich), 1 set of wires
electric throttle kick up solenoid in the carb died -it would stall all the time
12mpg on the freeway with a tailwind
It never left me stranded anywhere though!

My F-150:

almost 20,000 miles of trouble free driving with zero problems.

I know the truck is a hell of a lot more expensive, but I feel it's a good trade off to know that you'll get where you need to go barring any kind of traffic accident.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:38 PM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Racing
I can understand 30-40's era, maybe even the 50's era.
But why the 60's and early 70's era? Even though they are 40+ year old car, if they have their maintenance done, why would they not be RELIABLE daily driver
This had to come from a person who ,
One gets a new car every year or ,
Two & don't know a thing about cars.

Ive never had a new car .
Ive never had a car or truck that wasn't more than 20 years old, & have clocked over 1/4 million miles on a few of them.
To me anything with a computer in it is evil

IMO

Rob

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 01-17-2006, 12:35 AM

Last photo:

Well i like what that one dude said about the f150, being able to drive it confidently.

I mean, i have never owned a NEW car, and i never will. But at the same time, i want my daily driver to start everytime, no worries. I dont want to get stuck on the side of the road and i need to be able to go on 150mile one way, road trips and not think twice.

Now, if the car had a rebuilt engine, trans, rearend. swap in soe new bushings, wheel bearings. Get the brakes in good shape.
what else would i worry about?

acessories going out randomly: water pumps, alternators. Old technology is not the best sometimes

whatca think?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:52 AM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

My 56 f-100 is original. The 272 y-block, generator, the 3 speed on the column, the straight front axle, the drum brakes all the way around, the one cylinder master cylinder (not power), the huge (self powered) steering wheel.

Yes...it runs well and it street legal. I drive it (just got tags a few weeks ago). I would not take off on a long trip though. Where in the middle of rural northern Arkansas can I get a starter or a generator?

As far as I know, things like that either have to be ordered in or you rebuild it yourself. It needs a lot of work to be even close to "restored".

Someday, it will have a slightly more modern drive-train with parts available everywhere and it will get driven a lot more.

I don't picture driving it to wally-world or the grocery store very often. The "customers" would bang it up too much.

Just thought I should add...my daily driver is a 2001 explorer. I put just over 13,000 miles on it since this time last January. I could care less if I wear it out with mileage. My 89 ranger (had for 16 years) was way up there. My brother has it now. Yep...its his daily now.
Old 01-18-2006, 01:06 AM

Last photo:

Im thinking about picking up a hard top Lincoln continental. Pretty inexpensive, comes with power locks, windows and steering.

nice and roomy for my 6'6" self, can put my friends in it. Only downside, i don't think i would road trip in it. Not even take it to malibu to surf or to the mountains to snowboard.

either i got to upgrade my triple a (AAA) card or buy a more reliable daily driver then the lincoln.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:17 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Well old is old to some people. The majority out there knows absolutly nothing about cars and they associate problems with vehicle age, and rightly so.

My Accord is a 95 and I have more faith in that then my 85 Caprice. Neither car has ever left me walking and both are up to date on maintaince. The Accord has 244,000 miles, the Caprice has 120,000. The Accord has gone on several long trips, and gets run hard all around. Since it turned 200,000 I've had to do a water pump and plugs, that is it.

Last edited by Ghetto Jet; 01-18-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

My Fargo is pinging like crazy, sometimes the gears get stuck and you have to play around a bit while coasting to a slow stop. When I hit over 40 my pedals start shaking from side to side. 2 of my wheels are leaking brake fluid due to bad wheel cylinders. My head gasket has a crack and spits oil. The muffler is rotted out and about to fall out any time. My fuel line is rotted pretty bad. My left rear shackle is broken and the spring is pretty much loose there. Yet in the summder I drive it everyday, and I dont even have a CAA membership

Mike
Old 01-19-2006, 12:52 AM
PO-BOYS-TOYS!!

Last journal entry: My new 55 chevy pretty sharp
Last photo:

Old Driver

I Have A 1961 Chev Bel-air I Have Drove It Everday For About 2 Yrs Now.. It Has A 283 Sbc Backed With A 2-speed Trans.. I Put About 40 Miles On It A Day And In 2 Yrs All I Have Had To Do Other Then Gas And Oil Lol, Is Put A Exhaust On It And New Tires And A Set Of Points....i Have A 94 Ext Cab Truck And I Would Rather Take The 61 On A Long Trip Than The Truck.. Myself Am Only 24 Yrs Old And My Buddy's With There Honda's At Work Make Fun Of Me Driving The Old Cars But I Wouldnt Get Caught Driving That Jap Junk
Old 01-19-2006, 06:36 AM
AKA:"SLOWRIDE66"take it easy!

Last wiki edit: How to post pictures on a forum
Last journal entry: 85 Suburban
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfire
My Fargo is pinging like crazy, sometimes the gears get stuck and you have to play around a bit while coasting to a slow stop. When I hit over 40 my pedals start shaking from side to side. 2 of my wheels are leaking brake fluid due to bad wheel cylinders. My head gasket has a crack and spits oil. The muffler is rotted out and about to fall out any time. My fuel line is rotted pretty bad. My left rear shackle is broken and the spring is pretty much loose there. Yet in the summder I drive it everyday, and I dont even have a CAA membership

Mike
Well son you need to knock the snow off that thing & fix all that crap not only for your saftey but ours as well.

Leaking break fluid? broken shackel? rotted fuel line?There is no way I would drive that anywhere except closer to the tool box....

"Illegitimis non carborundum"
Don't let the bastards grind you down!

Crankshaft Coalition Master List of Hotrodding Forums
Old 01-21-2006, 07:14 PM

Last photo:

Anyone know of any Lincoln forums, specifically for the continental?

I wanna read up on these cars.

thanks,
Todd

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.