Daily driver help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 04:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Daily driver help

I'm looking for some tips to improve my daily driver. I have a project in the works so most of my money is going into that and it's only my daily driver not my toy, so nothing to extreme or expensive.

It is an 87 S15 Jimmy 2.8 V6 TBI 4WD. As it sits, it's bone stock.

My main goals are to add some gas mileage, right now I'm getting between 18 and 19 mpg on town and hilly roads. I'd like to try to get that up a bit. And while I know it's not exactly a good base I would like to add a bit of pep to it if possible. The thing is underpowered and I'm not asking for miracles but there has to be some pep I can manage to squeeze out of it.

Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

That is really pretty good mileage for what you have. You could put a K&N air filter sytem on it and put a better flowing exhaust sytem on it and get a little more horse power as well as helping the mileage.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:31 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
That is really pretty good mileage for what you have. You could put a K&N air filter sytem on it and put a better flowing exhaust sytem on it and get a little more horse power as well as helping the mileage.
I agree with the exhaust system but K&N filters have been shown time and again to admit more dirt while not providing significant power or mileage improvements. A better choice would be to regularly install a clean AC filter.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:18 AM

Daily driver

Where have you seen that the K&N filters allow more dirt and flow less air? Can you show us a link to that info?
Old 09-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernkazern
Where have you seen that the K&N filters allow more dirt and flow less air? Can you show us a link to that info?
I've seen the independent test results that confirm their reduced filtration ability. It's really become pretty common knowledge at this point. Flow comparisons depend on the paper filter they're being compared to. But a good quality, clean paper filter is really giving up nothing to a K&N in flow. Assuming that a given engine is even restricted by it's filter, it would only be very near or at maximum RPM. That being the case, how much is a K&N or any other gimmicky air intake device really going to benefit most street cars?
The next time my Vette's on the dyno, I'll make a pull with the air filter out. I'm betting that in a car that makes around 400 RWHP, it'll make no difference outside the normal range of minor variances from pull to pull. Stock air box, unmodified lid, stock AC filter element.....
Old 09-30-2007, 02:25 PM

Daily driver

It would be nice if you could send a link to the article you read. It would carry a lot more weight when I try to tell someone what you're saying if I have hard evidence to back it up.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Drive it Like u Stole it!

using the search feature, i came up with these links:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest2.htm
http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

there are others too, but these existed in a current topic on another forum heading (general hotrodding, i believe). the search feature is handy - try using it.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:02 PM

I checked out the bobistheoilguy site and it says the K&N flows a little better and filters a little worse then a NAPA paper filter among others. (NAPA used to be made by WIX.) That makes sense unlike flows worse and filters worse.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:27 PM

Last photo:

Urban Legend?

I think a lot of guys would prefer quantity to quality in the horsepower department - and since air makes power.......low restriction is what it is. If low restriction doesn't add air - you've got a different problem holding you back.

A wise engineer I worked with for years (and driver of a fine '31 Chebbie) repeatedly expressed the opinion that "fine" filters usually made sure only the finest dirt ended up in your engine or electronics or whatever........None of our street toy's engines ever get very many running hours on them - least of all in a driving dust storm. So a minor difference in cleaning efficiency isn't the kind of killer some might worry over - sells filters to fleet managers or something like that......

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.